• 👋 Welcome! If you were registered on Cybertruckownersclub.com as of October 14, 2024 or earlier, you can simply login here with the same username and password as on Cybertruckownersclub.

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Introducing ProtectaClear: the smart coating option to protect your 30X stainless steel factory finish

OP
OP
ProtectaClear

ProtectaClear

Site Sponsor
First Name
Jackie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Country flag
Ok so a blend of PvC, Polyamide, Polyethylene etc….. so what is the temp of melting of the thermoplastic status post cure that would be of concern? How hot can it get before it is at its transition to tacky etc or damaging it? Thank you!! Cheers
ProtectaClear will gas off at 550°. Many customers use it on their vehicle wheels, engine blocks for show cars, stainless steel BBQ exteriors, etc. without issues.

Diveflyfish

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 BMW 335d
Country flag
ProtectaClear will gas off at 550°. Many customers use it on their vehicle wheels, engine blocks for show cars, stainless steel BBQ exteriors, etc. without issues.
Ok, Do you mean Gas off is volatilization temp correct? I meant to ask at what temp will the coating deform in a plastic sense where it would be more easily damaged? I look forward to purchasing some of this material to test prior to using it when I have my CyberTruck.

CyberTW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y &3
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
Oh, a DIY wrap? That sounds complicated! Give this a try and if you don't like the results, then move on to your wrap.
I applaud you coming on here ?? savvy business move.. thanks for staying in here and answering question!
I am way deep in the queue, like 2026 hopefully, but I will be hoping enough people will use your product and love it!

OP
OP
ProtectaClear

ProtectaClear

Site Sponsor
First Name
Jackie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Country flag
You live not far from Sacramento, so you are more than likely familiar with Quick Quack Car Wash. You said “Touchless” car washes should be fine. I wonder if it would hold up to Quick Quack?

If this works advertised and it can go thru something like Quick Quack I am all in. I live in the SF Bay and I am awaiting my VIN assignment.
I am very familiar with Quick Quack (the principal owner is actually one of Everbrite’s best customers for his self storage business), and I know that QQ changes their hardware and technology frequently. I can say it should hold up to the car wash, but I couldn’t guaranty it, however it will hold up better than a wrap.

ideaXfactory

First Name
IdeaX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Many trucks, and a Porsche
Occupation
Stainless, metals, art, polymath
Agreed, or Pledge!

I see you do metal art as well. Check out how other artists use our coatings. https://www.everbritecoatings.com/art-sculpture
Yes I've placed exterior SS public sculpture in various cities. Sometimes people want to know what to use on it. It is a broad subject and coatings are not usually needed for SS outdoor sculpture.

However on the CyberTruck the finger print issue makes a coating useful.

Renaissance Wax is usually the top product used on archival metal and even Stainless Steel. It also has a very strong odor when applied, that then dissipates. Fingerprinting is certainly vastly reduced. How does ProtectaClear compare to Renaissance Wax?

Cybercab Robotaxi Introducing ProtectaClear: the smart coating option to protect your 30X stainless steel factory finish 10496980_291836414330745_996245327279229374_o

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Yes I've placed exterior SS public sculpture in various cities. Sometimes people want to know what to use on it. It is a broad subject and coatings are not usually needed for SS outdoor sculpture.

Renaissance Wax is usually the top product used on archival metal and even Stainless Steel. It also has a very strong odor when applied, that then dissipates. Fingerprinting is certainly vastly reduced. How does ProtectaClear compare to Renaissance Wax?

10496980_291836414330745_996245327279229374_o.jpg

Thank you for sharing your knowledge of metal care products!

I've always been a huge fan of natural waxes for protecting surfaces from dirt and contaminants, but this Renaissance Wax sounds even better! I was going to use auto shampoo and a regular high-quality caranuba auto wax on Cybertruck for a low effort maintenance program but have ordered this to see which holds up better in my climate since I will be parking the Cybertruck outside, exposed to the elements. I only want to have to apply wax 2-4 times per year, so whatever holds up better will probably win for me!

I'm wary of applying plastics to Cybertruck because they all eventually fail and, to my eyes, plastic coatings are detectable, they seem to take away from the way light reflects from the surface of metals in a very subtle but very real way. When plastic coatings fail, it's a lot more work to restore the original look because some of the plastic remains embedded in the pores of the metal.

I'm not really worried about fingerprints, but any wax should reduce the effect, for those who care about fingerprints on their truck.

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
Pulling for this to be a good solution, not only for your company but for an option for CT owners not to have to choose between a $8,000 wrap and fingerprint hell, this could be a great solution.

Pablito3

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Escalade ESV, 🔜 Cyberbeast
Occupation
Real Estate
Country flag

10496980_291836414330745_996245327279229374_o.jpg
I found this old blog which someone compared various metal coating options with a very simple test. They just coated some copper wire and left it outside exposed in the SoFlo weather to see how well it held up and protected the metal from patina.

I would assume these other coating options are some of Protectaclear’s competitors and one of the comps was ren wax. Long story short the guy who did this at home test said he would go with Protectaclear. But I think it’s safe to say he was not contemplating coating a vehicle with this product at the time of this test.

Take a look, it’s starts a few posts down in the Oct date post with two follow up posts.

http://wirerapper.blogspot.com/2013?m=1

I will keep watching this thread, I assume someone will try this prior to my beast delivery later this year.

The reality is most people want simple convenience. I am most curious to find out how this product holds up to automated car washes, how hard the finish is and if it will show scratch marks after an automated car wash that is not touchless.

Dumb Game

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge neon
Occupation
Line-Haul Trucker
Country flag
What’s the amount required for a Cybertruck?
I’m OCD and hate fingerprints.
was quoted 5-6k for clear PPF.
If this works and protects the finish, that’s pretty cool.
Post a warning sign that says, 'The last person who touched my property left with my boot in their butt.'

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck foundation awd
Country flag
Cybercab Robotaxi Introducing ProtectaClear: the smart coating option to protect your 30X stainless steel factory finish 1706977832970

Am I understanding correctly that the coating takes 4-5 days to cure, but even further shouldn't be allowed to stay wet until two weeks after application?

Also, I can't seem to find information about the recoat times. How long does each coat need to cure before the next coat can be applied? From the information on your site, I'm guessing 3-4 coats would be necessary

Last edited:
OP
OP
ProtectaClear

ProtectaClear

Site Sponsor
First Name
Jackie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Country flag
1706977832970.png

Am I understanding correctly that the coating takes 4-5 days to cure, but even further shouldn't be allowed to stay wet until two weeks after application?

Also, I can't seem to find information about the recoat times. How long does each coat need to cure before the next coat can be applied? From the information on your site, I'm guessing 3-4 coats would be necessary
That two week suggestion is more for sinks or fountains where water pools. The rain will not be a problem.

as for reapplying, the first coat needs to be dry to the touch before any further coats are applied. Although with one good coat, the Cybertruck will be protected.

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck foundation awd
Country flag
That two week suggestion is more for sinks or fountains where water pools. The rain will not be a problem.

as for reapplying, the first coat needs to be dry to the touch before any further coats are applied. Although with one good coat, the Cybertruck will be protected.
So how long would you recommend allowing the truck to cure before driving it? I know it's not exact, but dry to the touch doesn't mean that no road debris will stick to it. Are we talking days or hours at ~72F?

Riddleric

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Country flag
Let me give it a try on one panel. Get it on Amazon or straight from your site?

OP
OP
ProtectaClear

ProtectaClear

Site Sponsor
First Name
Jackie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Country flag
Best I can tell from the website, a quart does one coat of 250 s.f., which is 5 ft x 50 ft. That cost $89. Also sell a gallon for $299.

One or two quarts I guess. Says additional coats can be applied over top, several years later. You spray or wipe on.
I would suggest two quarts. If shipping to California, a gallon or more must be a different formulation. If you stick to quarts, this is not an issue. We are putting together a Cybertruck kit currently and it will be available in the coming days.