• đź‘‹ Welcome! If you were registered on Cybertruckownersclub.com as of October 14, 2024 or earlier, you can simply login here with the same username and password as on Cybertruckownersclub.

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Why is WAYMO so much better than FSD ?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Waymo has remote operators just like Elons robots.
They can't puppet/drive the vehicles directly, they can only answer questions from the vehicles or send service.

Tho I'm guessing that's mostly how the Teslabots were operated, by making sure they're catching the right questions and not stepping on toes.

-Crissa

Stinky10r

First Name
Vladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Couple Audi's
Country flag
In that, there's a Human making sure it doesn't screw up.

Robots are just fancy electronic puppets. Why this upsets you - when that wasn't even possible a few years ago - is baffling.

-Crissa
This is rather absurd. Allow me to correct. Robots controlled by humans has been around for decades.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is rather absurd. Allow me to correct. Robots controlled by humans has been around for decades.
Humanoid robots controlled by Humans have not been 'around for decades'.

By that matter, then AI controlled robots aren't exciting, either. I just don't get the insistence it's not progress.

-Crissa

Curt

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Went to the Pen state SC game today but we won’t talk about that L ! This was the first time I really used my FSD in “LA Traffic” and super crowded area. I Def had to take over a few times. One was someone making a left turn sticking into my lane a little bit and I definitely waited till the last second to see if it would correct it self and It didn’t. Another was it kind of stuttered with the steering wheel couldn’t get over and missed the street then put me back on the freeway and doubled back.. but the real I guess “confusion” for me is why am I seeing Waymo cars in numbers all around the campus and area self driving alone with Zero issues in large crowds? My truck would have crashed 3 times and these things seem all good with no one inside them?
Comparing Waymo to FSD is comparing apples to oranges.

With some work, Tesla can do what Waymo is doing. By confining themselves to a geo-fenced area, gather tons of video data to train the neural net and maybe add remote human assistance, Tesla can do what Waymo is doing. The Cybercab demonstration at We, Rebot was a miniature version of what Waymo does.

But Waymo can never do what Tesla FSD is doing. To do so, Waymo would need to gather tons of video data and train their neural net (and Waymo uses a neural net), which they cannot do because they don't have a fleet of >2 million cars, that Tesla has, to collect video data. Or, they would need to HD-map the entire country first and re-HD-map every street every day, even if their robotaxi hasn't driven on every street every day. Because, when Waymo's robotaxi needs to drive on a street, the street needs to be recently HD-mapped.

Waymo cannot be dropped in any town in the country and start driving, even with a human supervisor sitting in the car. Tesla FSD can drive anywhere (albeit not perfectly sometime), including places that are not even mapped for navigation and places that no Tesla has driven to before.

Also, Waymo cars are too expensive. Just their sensors cost approximately $40k. Add on the car, and it's way too expensive. Their rides should be cheaper than Uber's because they eliminated the human driver, which is supposed to be the most expensive part of the taxi. But their rides are still more expensive than Uber's. Therefore, they will never be able to scale. The Cybercab is $30k including cameras.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well, Waymo probably could be dropped in, but the costs to make sure everything is working properly exceed addressable market.

That's why Waymo has always been working on self-mapping cars - just like Tesla is doing.

They're just not there yet.

-Crissa

pricedm

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla Model Y LR. Volvo XC70 T6 retired 9/23
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Waymo is an incremental not-for-sale $200,000+ hardware/software solution per vehicle.
versus...
Tesla FSD is an incremental retail cost $8,000 software solution per vehicle.

Waymo cannot take me on a "hundreds of miles" road trip. Tesla FSD can, and does.
Waymo is operating autonomous vehicles in very limited North America locations.
Tesla FSD operates in extensive North America locations
add your favorite example, and then contrast with "the other team."

Which solution can scale easier?

Stinky10r

First Name
Vladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Couple Audi's
Country flag

Liver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Beast
Country flag
It’s almost like these are two different systems that competing with each other in several areas.

Stinky10r

First Name
Vladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Couple Audi's
Country flag
Nice. Your own citation proves you wrong.

-Crissa
I think you failed reading comprehension which may explain some of the previous firings. First paragraph from my source.

Honda began developing humanoid robots in the 1980s, including several prototypes that preceded ASIMO. It was the company's goal to create a walking robot. E0 was the first bipedal (two-legged) model produced as part of the Honda E series, which was an early experimental line of the self-regulating, humanoid walking robot with wireless movements created between 1986 and 1993.