• 👋 Welcome! If you were registered on Cybertruckownersclub.com as of October 14, 2024 or earlier, you can simply login here with the same username and password as on Cybertruckownersclub.

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Why is WAYMO so much better than FSD ?

Jack27

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck/model3
Went to the Pen state SC game today but we won’t talk about that L ! This was the first time I really used my FSD in “LA Traffic” and super crowded area. I Def had to take over a few times. One was someone making a left turn sticking into my lane a little bit and I definitely waited till the last second to see if it would correct it self and It didn’t. Another was it kind of stuttered with the steering wheel couldn’t get over and missed the street then put me back on the freeway and doubled back.. but the real I guess “confusion” for me is why am I seeing Waymo cars in numbers all around the campus and area self driving alone with Zero issues in large crowds? My truck would have crashed 3 times and these things seem all good with no one inside them?

SeattleBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyberbeast 2024
Google engineering is no joke. They employ the world's top talent. They have a robust security and safety approach that rivals some governments.

OP
OP
Jack27

Jack27

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck/model3
Google engineering is no joke. They employ the world's top talent. They have a robust security and safety approach that rivals some governments.
I mean I guess but I thought my boy Elon did also ? 😆 I just saw robots and ish doing paper rock scissors

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Went to the Pen state SC game today but we won’t talk about that L ! This was the first time I really used my FSD in “LA Traffic” and super crowded area. I Def had to take over a few times. One was someone making a left turn sticking into my lane a little bit and I definitely waited till the last second to see if it would correct it self and It didn’t. Another was it kind of stuttered with the steering wheel couldn’t get over and missed the street then put me back on the freeway and doubled back.. but the real I guess “confusion” for me is why am I seeing Waymo cars in numbers all around the campus and area self driving alone with Zero issues in large crowds? My truck would have crashed 3 times and these things seem all good with no one inside them?
Waymo is not better because its strictly geo-fenced to only operate in known areas. It also often locks up and needs help from a remote operator in really easy situations. It's what you would expect from a system that is hard coded. They took a short-cut path to autonomy that is not able to scale to the rest of the world without spending billions on further mapping and training for each specific area they want to operate in. It's a "dumb" system. It can't even go on the Interstate, it just bumbles along on surface streets.

Waymo doesn't miss streets because they are all hard-coded. At least in the few areas Waymo has hard coded and trained on. It's definitely not the future of autonomy in the way that FSD is. Neither are ready for prime time, and Waymo never will unless they adopt a more natural way of driving.

OP
OP
Jack27

Jack27

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck/model3
Waymo is not better because its strictly geo-fenced to only operate in known areas. It also often locks up and needs help from a remote operator in really easy situations. It's what you would expect from a system that is hard coded. They took a short-cut path to autonomy that is not able to scale to the rest of the world without spending billions on further mapping and training for each specific area they want to operate in. It's a "dumb" system. It can't even go on the Interstate, it just bumbles along on surface streets.

Waymo doesn't miss streets because they are all hard-coded. At least in the few areas Waymo has hard coded and trained on. It's definitely not the future of autonomy in the way that FSD is. Neither are ready for prime time, and Waymo never will unless they adopt a more natural way of driving.
Great info I knew nothing about!

Sjohnson20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck AWD, Model Y
Country flag
I used Waymo in Los Angeles 3 times last week and I really liked it. I think it’s great for quick trips around town.

It’s just that Tesla is approaching self driving in a different way. We still don’t have a winner yet. Both systems have limitations.

cyberos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep 4xe, Cyberbeast (July-August 2024)
Occupation
Generative AI
Country flag
We already beat this to death, and people either accepted or rejected LIDAR as the answer to your question

OP
OP
Jack27

Jack27

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck/model3
Uhh... you do know those were controlled remotely by humans, right?
Aaaa I do understand that a human can take over the car yes however the reaction time and attentiveness involved in preventing some of the situations I was in with my truck wouldn’t of been possible in preventing the accident from a remote location

SeattleBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyberbeast 2024
Aaaa I do understand that a human can take over the car yes however the reaction time and attentiveness involved in preventing some of the situations I was in with my truck wouldn’t of been possible
No, dude, the robots were controlled by humans. They're just fancy electronic puppets.

OP
OP
Jack27

Jack27

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck/model3
No, dude, the robots were controlled by humans. They're just fancy electronic puppets.
Oooo I thought you were commenting on the cars 😆 yeah I think I realize the robots were controlled by humans 😆
Orrrr were they ?? Dunnn dun dunnnnn

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Uhh... you do know those were controlled remotely by humans, right?
In that, there's a Human making sure it doesn't screw up.

Robots are just fancy electronic puppets. Why this upsets you - when that wasn't even possible a few years ago - is baffling.

-Crissa

OP
OP
Jack27

Jack27

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck/model3
In that, there's a Human making sure it doesn't screw up.

Robots are just fancy electronic puppets. Why this upsets you - when that wasn't even possible a few years ago - is baffling.

-Crissa
I’m all in for 20/30k as he said but for sure still triple locking my door when I sleep. Just something about it still scares me ! But it’s worth it mowing my lawn and making me cocktails !! 😆

igs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT, MX, MY
Occupation
Tesla: "To maintain service life, the battery pack should be stored at a state of charge (SOC) of 15 to 50%."
Country flag
I mean I guess but I thought my boy Elon did also ? 😆 I just saw robots and ish doing paper rock scissors
Waymo has remote operators just like Elons robots.