• đź‘‹ Welcome! If you were registered on Cybertruckownersclub.com as of October 14, 2024 or earlier, you can simply login here with the same username and password as on Cybertruckownersclub.

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

FSD price increases to $15k September 5th

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Maybe hastle for those who want to add it to the Robotaxi network for a few hours.
They need to ensure it is clean.. and upon its return check for any damage. And report if necessary.
Very similar to an Uber driver. The star system will keep you in it or not.

I want to keep it in the network for the longer term.. months.

I don't expect any hassle. In fact zero.

In order to have a successful relationship with longterm robotaxi owners and in order to have an organized, streamlined business, Tesla will take over full management of the Robotaxi network. They will run their own cars and ours.

Elon has already mentioned he envisages a sort of sheep herder to oversee perhaps 40 cars..

If the car is added to the network, it will be managed and insured by Tesla. Tesla will ensure it is driven on acceptable roads.

Tesla's employee will ensure it is clean and not damaged.

We are a last breed. Longer term, Tesla will be the only owner of a Robotaxi.

It won't take long to replace all Uber and taxi drivers around the world. Tesla could do it in a year.

The issue is creating a new transport industry, replacing buses and trains and car ownership. Tens of millions of Robotaxis Vrs tens of thousands Uber/taxi drivers.

We will have a totally different landscape. Not replacing like for like.
Wow! You have quite the vision. I do not think I’ll be around to see this vision realized but it should be interesting.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
An on-call driver isn't worth much to me, because I don't need one. Even if I were super rich, I doubt I'd want a driver. I like driving.

FSD is cool though. Autopilot I would love, since I'm at the meeting point of several high-quality but boring highways. Is suspect it will function really well on those roads and I look forward to being able to relax heading to the in-laws, the beach and two nearby cities. I'll use it all the time. Current FSD would see rare use for me, since the final steps to my destination on city streets I'm more than happy to do myself. I would love FSD for my wife, who has some health limitations that periodically affect her ability to dive safely.

True FSD would be absolutely amazing if I could have some drinks and it would safely and legally take me home. There's countless sea-side premium and hipster restaurants around here that are just begging to be enjoyed with a bottle of wine and/or a few pints. Unfortunately cabs can be difficult in those situations. I just heard about a big country concert this weekend 30mins away. There's still tickets, but no hotels, and cabs would be an absolute nightmare and costly. And you don't do country without beers. It would be amazing to just drive to the concert, have fun, drink beers and the CT DD's it's way home. But I think that ability is a long ways out. Not that Tesla's won't be able; MADD and other groups will lobby hard against allowing such functionality and lawmakers will be scared to put it in place only to see a cybertruck run over a toddler while it drags their passed out owner home.
I like to drive too and hate being a passenger. That is probably why I am as critical of current FSD functionality as I am. But there will come a time when I don’t trust my driving and I am counting on my FSD investment to keep me mobile.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I think Enhanced Autopilot is worth near $3-7k. Other car companies charge a lot more for a lot less anyhow.

In the ??? Year(s) before you get the truck the situation may bring more to the table.
More competition? That would be great but I have, having watched what the competition is doing, very little expectation that it will happen in the current timeframe.

Last edited:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Tesla doesn't say how many FSD subscriptions are actually purchased. Maybe it is a bait a switch to get people to actually purchase enhanced Autopilot. $6k looks like a value next to $15k.
Maybe. That is a sad perspective but it is certainly possible.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Cybertrucks should command a premium on the Robotaxi network. Tricky bit is navigating the lumber yards and weird places where people might want to take them.
Yea

I said recently I expect some app facility which we could use to maneuver the car to an exact spot we select on a car rendered map. Or Google maps,..

or maybe using our own phone camera/app as an extended car camera.

or a follow me.... step out to where you want the car to go.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Wow! You have quite the vision. I do not think I’ll be around to see this vision realized but it should be interesting.
You will be kicking and screaming lol

It will be transition. From first Robotaxi day to the next 20-30 years.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
More competition? That would be great but I gave, having watched what the competition is doing, very little expectation that it will happen in the current timeframe.
I don’t either

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
You will be kicking and screaming lol

It will be transition. From first Robotaxi day to the next 20-30 years.
All transitions are happening faster. The robotaxi tech will be incredible in 5 years. It is the city scape that will take time to change. Less need for parking, more building infill or parks.

The economic shift is the hard part. Fewer cars in general, smaller share of the economy for maintenance and transportation in general. While not related to robotaxi the elimination of dealerships is profound. Many smallish cities have a couple dealers. These guys are often the high rollers in town.

Change is coming.

WA-CyberDriver

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck - Dual Motor
Country flag
When I'm in the car I suspect I'll drive manually a lot, but the part of true FSD I really think will be useful is sending my car on it's own. Dad needs to borrow my pickup truck, sister needs to be picked up from the airport, neighbor's car won't start at the Walmart 30 minutes away and asked if I could come and get him. The business of making signs and bumper stickers that say "Mom's Taxi" will go bankrupt. (I'm sure that's a multi hundred dollar industry) :)
I agree with this. The ability to drive to work (University) and send the vehicle off to free off-campus parking for the day can be a real benefit. Or when you're going out to a special night in "old town" where there's no parking and sending the vehicle off to park until needed seems like a true advantage.

On "Mom's Taxi"... As long as Uber and Lyft are successful, I think "Mom's Taxi" may have a percentage of that same market--for customers to are cool with FSD. It's already happening in limited areas of downtown Phoenix with Waymo.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Yea

I said recently I expect some app facility which we could use to maneuver the car to an exact spot we select on a car rendered map. Or Google maps,..

or maybe using our own phone camera/app as an extended car camera.

or a follow me.... step out to where you want the car to go.
I regularly go kayaking or cycling and want my car somewhere I don’t start from.

It’s a big thing with outdoor sports. Would be monstrously useful, particularly if it works on forest roads.

Went to a show last night and parking was $70 near the venue. I’d probably have taken the light rail if I knew how to navigate it, but I’d have just sent the car to wait at the nearest Walmart parking lot if I had the option.

Too many situations like this in my life. It would be huge.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I regularly go kayaking or cycling and want my car somewhere I don’t start from.

It’s a big thing with outdoor sports. Would be monstrously useful, particularly if it works on forest roads.

Went to a show last night and parking was $70 near the venue. I’d probably have taken the light rail if I knew how to navigate it, but I’d have just sent the car to wait at the nearest Walmart parking lot if I had the option.

Too many situations like this in my life. It would be huge.
You guys bring up some interesting points with the back country shuttles and sending the CT to park somewhere cheap.

My experience with back country parking is there are no lines and people do funky stuff sometimes blocking others in. I am not sure your CT will want to straddle a ditch to park.

And if everybody started to send their CT to the nearest free parking at events this will create more traffic. The parking lot owners will eventually figure this out and react somehow.

This is level 5 AI stuff. I don't think we will see this functionality for a couple years after level 4, but it is fun to think about.

This brings up a business model. FSD rescue service. If your rig gets confused and creates a traffic jam and you are in a concert or floating down the river who will rescue your car.? I don't think we want the police to disable it or impound it every time it gets stuck?

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
This is level 5 AI stuff. I don't think we will see this functionality for a couple years after level 4, but it is fun to think about.
Level 4 does exist and has for a couple years.

Elon says we will have Level 5 "next year". :)

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Level 5 when released, will be able to control the car and navigate better than the average human driver.

Even if not perfect, if the world puts up with half of the worlds worst drivers now, it will only get better for all concerned.