• đź‘‹ Welcome! If you were registered on Cybertruckownersclub.com as of October 14, 2024 or earlier, you can simply login here with the same username and password as on Cybertruckownersclub.

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Introducing CyberCover -- Stainless Steel Cover For Wall Connector

EMoeller

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsches (992 Turbo S, 993 Turbo, 993 Targa) Prius
Occupation
Geologist
Country flag
Hi Eric,

the UWC 's dimensions are as follows 13.6in H x 6.1in W x 5.9in D while the gen 3 Wall Connector which is what I designed the cover for is 13.6in H x 6.1in W x 4.3in D

I don't have a UWC to check how it's put together. It seems like my stainless steel cover would slip around it just fine, but would leave an uncovered gap at the bottom of the wall connector(closest to the wall).

If there is enough interest, I could potentially make one for the UWC as well.
OK, many/most CT owners will be getting the Universal Wall Connector that I referenced above. I'm a big Kickstarter fan and your early bird was down to only three left, so I've signed up for one. I'll have my PowerShare installed by your August estimate so we can work out whether it works or you will be making another model at that time. Thanks - cool idea!

JesseDGreat

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 CT AWD Foundation, 2022 Model S, 2023 Model 3
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
Hi Eric,

the UWC 's dimensions are as follows 13.6in H x 6.1in W x 5.9in D while the gen 3 Wall Connector which is what I designed the cover for is 13.6in H x 6.1in W x 4.3in D

I don't have a UWC to check how it's put together. It seems like my stainless steel cover would slip around it just fine, but would leave an uncovered gap at the bottom of the wall connector(closest to the wall).

If there is enough interest, I could potentially make one for the UWC as well.
Id be intrested. I have 2 UWCs

OP
OP
Edson

Edson

Site Sponsor
First Name
Edson
Threads
Reaction score
Website
openvolt.xyz
Vehicles
Cybertruck, Model 3
Country flag
Does this work with the Universal Wall Connector?
I'm buying a UWC and checking compatibility. Stay tuned for an update

jf64k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 MYLR (Lola), 2024 FS AWD (Deckard 263-54)
Country flag
I'm buying a UWC and checking compatibility. Stay tuned for an update
Awesome, looking forward to it.

The handle cradle is definitely in a different position relative to the front/back. It’s also bigger to accommodate the J1772 adapter.

I’ve got both, here’s some pics:

UWC with/without J1772 adaptor

Cybercab Robotaxi Introducing CyberCover -- Stainless Steel Cover For Wall Connector IMG_4223

Cybercab Robotaxi Introducing CyberCover -- Stainless Steel Cover For Wall Connector IMG_4227

Gen3 WC:

Cybercab Robotaxi Introducing CyberCover -- Stainless Steel Cover For Wall Connector IMG_4225

OP
OP
Edson

Edson

Site Sponsor
First Name
Edson
Threads
Reaction score
Website
openvolt.xyz
Vehicles
Cybertruck, Model 3
Country flag

The handle cradle is definitely in a different position relative to the front/back. It’s also bigger to accommodate the J1772 adapter.

IMG_4223.jpeg

IMG_4227.jpeg

Gen3 WC:

IMG_4225.jpeg
This is awesome! Thank you for those measurements

OP
OP
Edson

Edson

Site Sponsor
First Name
Edson
Threads
Reaction score
Website
openvolt.xyz
Vehicles
Cybertruck, Model 3
Country flag
Id be intrested. I have 2 UWCs
I'm convinced there are enough people interested in a version for their UWC. Will be getting one so I can make changes to my design and offer both variations

JesseDGreat

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
I'm convinced there are enough people interested in a version for their UWC. Will be getting one so I can make changes to my design and offer both variations
Great news. I have 2 so let me know if I can help at all

rodmacpherson

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Security Architect (IT/Infosec)
Country flag

IMG_4223.jpeg

IMG_4227.jpeg

Gen3 WC:

IMG_4225.jpeg
This is very interesting to see. I haven't seen the UWC in person, so that is nice to see with measurements.
Is the glass front the same piece on both UWC and WCGen3?

Derektsla

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck AWD, Model X
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Country flag
Thanks, I just backed your project based on this post. I think many will have the UWC, so this is a good idea.

Let me know if I can help. I have multiple 3D printers, a laser cutter, and a thermoformer. I may be able to make an acrylic mockup to test it out on the UWC.

also, from ChatGPT on WiFi signal below. I wonder if making the bottom panel (or sides) out of matte black acrylic would help? The bottom wouldn’t be very visible and might help.

If the thickness of the 304 stainless steel is 1/16” (about 1.6 mm), it will still have a noticeable impact on WiFi signals. Here’s how this thickness influences signal propagation:

1. **Reflection and Refraction**: Even at 1/16” thickness, stainless steel will reflect a significant portion of the WiFi signal, causing it to bounce off the surface rather than pass through.

2. **Attenuation**: The signal attenuation (reduction in signal strength) will be considerable. While some signal may penetrate the thin steel, much of it will be absorbed or scattered, leading to weakened signal strength on the other side.

3. **Interference**: The thin layer can still interfere with the WiFi signal, causing disruptions in the data flow and potential decreases in data rates.

For practical purposes, even a 1/16” thickness of 304 stainless steel will act as a barrier to WiFi signals, reducing both signal strength and quality. If maintaining strong WiFi coverage is essential, consider using WiFi extenders, placing the router in an optimal position to minimize obstruction, or using materials with less impact on signal propagation.

Last edited:

TESBROS

Site Sponsor
First Name
Ji
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, Model S, Model X, Model 3, Model Y
Occupation
CEO at TESBROS
Country flag
Have you considered partnering with an accessories company? There are a lot on here.

Maybe @TESBROS or something
This is dope. If you're looking for partners, let me know. Regardless, happy to help push it out on our channels.

jf64k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 MYLR (Lola), 2024 FS AWD (Deckard 263-54)
Country flag
This is very interesting to see. I haven't seen the UWC in person, so that is nice to see with measurements.
Is the glass front the same piece on both UWC and WCGen3?
Yes, the Tesla shop says the replacement glass face plates work with both the Gen3 WC and UWC.

JesseDGreat

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
Thanks, I just backed your project based on this post. I think many will have the UWC, so this is a good idea.

Let me know if I can help. I have multiple 3D printers, a laser cutter, and a thermoformer. I may be able to make an acrylic mockup to test it out on the UWC.

also, from ChatGPT on WiFi signal below. I wonder if making the bottom panel (or sides) out of matte black acrylic would help? The bottom wouldn’t be very visible and might help.

If the thickness of the 304 stainless steel is 1/16” (about 1.6 mm), it will still have a noticeable impact on WiFi signals. Here’s how this thickness influences signal propagation:

1. **Reflection and Refraction**: Even at 1/16” thickness, stainless steel will reflect a significant portion of the WiFi signal, causing it to bounce off the surface rather than pass through.

2. **Attenuation**: The signal attenuation (reduction in signal strength) will be considerable. While some signal may penetrate the thin steel, much of it will be absorbed or scattered, leading to weakened signal strength on the other side.

3. **Interference**: The thin layer can still interfere with the WiFi signal, causing disruptions in the data flow and potential decreases in data rates.

For practical purposes, even a 1/16” thickness of 304 stainless steel will act as a barrier to WiFi signals, reducing both signal strength and quality. If maintaining strong WiFi coverage is essential, consider using WiFi extenders, placing the router in an optimal position to minimize obstruction, or using materials with less impact on signal propagation.
@Edson With you now working on the UWC if I back your project, will I be able to select the version of the cover I want?

EMoeller

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsches (992 Turbo S, 993 Turbo, 993 Targa) Prius
Occupation
Geologist
Country flag

Thanks for this info. In my case this cover would face way from my internet router in the garage, so at least in my use case I don't believe this is going to be an issue for me.

GonePlaid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 P100D X, 2024 F-Beast CT
Country flag
To add on top of the WIFI concerns/questions. I don't have a UWC, but I wonder where the WIFI antenna is placed on the unit? If someone could get me a picture of the front without the cover we might be able to figure that out (looks clear under the cover?). We need to figure out where the chip/antenna is located in order to understand what needs to be improved. A good solution would be to do a cut out near this area to allow for a better signal path. Could be built into windows, tonneau cover, etc designs. From what I've read these units are tough to get on WIFI especially considering that most people don't have APs in their garage. It's definitely something to consider and test out otherwise you may impact a lot of WIFI gen chargers.