• đź‘‹ Welcome! If you were registered on Cybertruckownersclub.com as of October 14, 2024 or earlier, you can simply login here with the same username and password as on Cybertruckownersclub.

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Tesla dropped to No. 3 in Cali

CyberTruckeeTheOne

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4runner
Occupation
Retired Operating Plans & Forecasting Manager
Country flag
California Customer Revenge

Musk must be currying the favor of Californians again by being given priority in Cybertruck delivery.

Lots of lessons here aside from customer revenge.

Elon could have left and moved quietly.

But his narcissism got thr better of him.

Before the fan boiz start shooting this messenger, let me just tell you I am not from California, I am a Tesla long stockholder and a happy Cybertruck owner.

And now, fire away!

Last edited:

cardad

First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, R1T, Bronco Raptor
Country flag
There’s a paywall but Tesla losing marketshare isn’t really new. They’re cratering everywhere especially China.

mark555055c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Cybertruck AWD FS, 2019 Silverado Trail Boss
Country flag
I don't need to read the article.

The doofs in California "lost" will be gained back and then some in Texas and other places.

The major factor in market share loss is simply the post covid auto market collapse and associated EV bubble popping. Interest rates and the end of covid helicopter money are the primary factors.

People who bought cars in 2018-2020 are simply holding on to them as used car values have plummeted. In 2025-2026 we'll see a surge again, watch.

Last edited:

Borealis

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911, MYP & Cybertruck
Country flag

The doofs in California "lost" will be gained back in Texas and other places.

The major factor in market share loss is simply the post covid auto market collapse and associated EV bubble popping. Interest rates and the end of covid helicopter money are the primary factors.

People who bought cars in 2018-2020 are simply holding on to them as used car values have plummeted. In 2025-2026 we'll see a surge again, watch.
Crazy, a car purchased for $70k two years ago now been offered $25k for it ?, I can understand why must would not sell in particular if there is no need to upgrade due to growing family or business.

OP
OP

CyberTruckeeTheOne

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4runner
Occupation
Country flag
The headline From Fortune:

Elon Musk publicly dumped California for Texas—now Golden State customers are getting revenge, dumping Tesla in droves
BYAMANDA GERUT
April 29, 2024 at 2:01 PM PDT

OP
OP

CyberTruckeeTheOne

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4runner
Occupation
Country flag
In California, where there are Teslas as far as the eye can see and rapid charging stations aplenty, new drivers are opting out of the $605 billion Elon Musk–led car universe.

Among the top three passenger cars sold in California in the first quarter this year, Elon Musk’s Tesla Model 3 dropped from first place to third, behind the Toyota Camry and the Honda Civic, according to the California New Car Dealers Association’s first quarter auto outlook on Monday. Toyota was the top brand in California this quarter, notching a 9.3% increase in registrations, followed by Honda, which marked an 18.6% rise so far this year. Tesla registrations have dropped in California year to date, with a 7.8% drop in the first quarter, following a 9.8% drop in the last quarter of 2023.

OP
OP

CyberTruckeeTheOne

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4runner
Occupation
Country flag
Last part

"Californians’ love affair with electric vehicle giant Tesla may have peaked,” the CNCDA said in a statement Monday. The group tracks trends in California’s new-vehicle market, using data from Experian Automotive. The CNCDA represents California-based franchised new car and truck dealers.

“The numbers don’t lie,” said Brian Maas, president of the CNCDA. “They indicate that the incredible growth that Tesla had for years has now stopped or certainly slowed in the most recent report.”

The market share for battery electric vehicles fell from 21.5% in 2023, to 20.9% in the first quarter, the group found. The slowdown in sales is hard to parse, said Maas, but it could be due to the price of Teslas relative to other vehicles, issues with charging infrastructure, or that buyers who wanted to own a Tesla have already purchased the car.

“Appealing to the mass market is a challenge Tesla faces,” said Maas. “Other dealers have a broader array of very competitive vehicles, so Tesla doesn’t have the EV space largely to their own like they did a few years ago.”

Another factor that could be contributing to the slowdown in Tesla sales is Musk himself. According to Reuters, market-intelligence firm Caliber found consumer interest in Tesla had declined from 70% in November 2021 to just 31% in February 2024, due in part to Musk’s apparent acceptance of right-wing conspiracy theories and other polarizing political views. In California, where 47% of registered voters are Democrats compared to 24% who are Republicans, Musk’s antics may be particularly unappealing.

To be sure, this is only an early indicator that Tesla’s popularity is on the decline. Tesla is still the top seller of electric vehicles in California with the Model Y, Model 3, and Model X ahead of the Chevy Bolt and the Volkswagen ID.4, but first-quarter battery electric vehicle market share dropped 6.4%. Mercedes and BMW had the largest gains of sales among battery electric vehicles in the first quarter, with Mercedes rising 3% and BMW 2.4%.

OP
OP

CyberTruckeeTheOne

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4runner
Occupation
Country flag

The doofs in California "lost" will be gained back and then some in Texas and other places.

I doubt id any of those who bought their Toyota's will be buying any Tesla soon which tend to live forever.

Or if they come up with an EV, will upgrade or replace to a Toyota too.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
So cheaper cars did better.

Uhh, okay.

Also... Since when do they do 'This is the top brand in California!' Fortune is out of New York City.

They couldn't do a 'Tesla loses EV market share' article so they printed a 'Tesla (who we classify as luxury) is being outsold by bottom-dollar cars?

-Crissa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 M3P, 2021 MS Plaid, 2024 Cybertruck AWD
Country flag
They aren’t counting the Model Y. What do the numbers look like when they include the Model Y?

OP
OP

CyberTruckeeTheOne

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4runner
Occupation
Country flag
So cheaper cars did better.

Uhh, okay.

Also... Since when do they do 'This is the top brand in California!' Fortune is out of New York City.

They couldn't do a 'Tesla loses EV market share' article so they printed a 'Tesla (who we classify as luxury) is being outsold by bottom-dollar cars?

-Crissa
Huh? I don't remember Fortune being just a ciry publication. As I've seen their covered, they are also in London, Europe and Asia.

And there is such thing as brand leadership and subset of luxury to entry level.

Yes, every automaker want to be in all categories where MB tried into the cheaper segment.

Cheaper Tesla is seen as path for Tesla to boost demand. Tesla stock price went up when Elon announced it then down when he said he had a change of mind.

Split hair however you want.

CyberTW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y &3
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
California Customer Revenge

Musk must be currying the favor of Californians again by being given priority in Cybertruck delivery.

Lots of lessons here aside from customer revenge.

Elon could have left and moved quietly.

But his narcissism got thr better of him.

Before the fan boiz start shooting this messenger, let me just tell you I am not from California, I am a Tesla long stockholder and a happy Cybertruck owner.

And now, fire away!
Gosh this site continues to get worse… so many emotional childish reactions… I get enough of those daily in my household … I miss the days before CT, when the OGs were spying/anticipating any news … now it’s “Elons a tool, everything is his fault. Tesla is losing its luster. Yada yada.”

criticize now and when they get rolling, the flip faster than Olympic gymnast

OP
OP

CyberTruckeeTheOne

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4runner
Occupation
Country flag
Gosh this site continues to get worse… so many emotional childish reactions… I get enough of those daily in my household … I miss the days before CT, when the OGs were spying/anticipating any news … now it’s “Elons a tool, everything is his fault. Tesla is losing its luster. Yada yada.”

Is that the official stand and statement of all the fan boiz where Elon is the master of the universe and can't so no wrong.

And wah, wah, wah, wah, everyone is ganging up on this poor man boy. ?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

What are you referring to?

No one in this thread is saying Tesla is losing its luster.

That's not how that works.

If it's just post-covid rebound, then they'd be seeing lower sales in most states.

Which they have, and why Tesla is sitting on a bunch of unsold cars. But at the same time. Tesla added to the pile of money it's sitting on and letting lose value due to inflation.

-Crissa