• 👋 Welcome! If you were registered on Cybertruckownersclub.com as of October 14, 2024 or earlier, you can simply login here with the same username and password as on Cybertruckownersclub.

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

? Rivian Adopts Tesla NACS Standard!

Kahpernicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Country flag
the internals in the cabinets are quite different as is all the equipment behin the curtain.

all those patents should be open sourced if that’s the new standard
Why?

Standards are for output and interface specifications/requirements.

Not for internal design. That's ridiculous.

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
Why?

Standards are for output and interface specifications/requirements.

Not for internal design. That's ridiculous.
I thought there was nothing special and that it’s just electricpity?
what do I know it’s not like we’ve installed DCFC before

whats ridiculous is monopolized gas stations

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag

I've followed your complaining on this issue, but I still don't understand what you are being critical of. Tesla's not going to enforce patents against anyone that copies their charger designs.

I'm not sure what you have against the company doing more to drive EV adoption by lowering costs and sharing information, building out (and sharing) EV charging infrastructure, and driving down the costs of their EV's themselves, than any other company around.

What do you want Tesla to do that they haven't already done? Hold the hand of competitors engineers, and train them how to design a robust system without wasting money?

papajamaliciousness

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Subaru Outback
Occupation
lawyer
Country flag
Didn't you have a kidney you could sell instead?!? Sorry Sis/Bro. You should mortgage* your house to buy the dip two hours after the market opens tomorrow morning.

*I'm a stranger on the internet. You'd be an idiot to take this suggestion as investment advice. ?
haha. I started listening to dave ramsey so I became highly willing to lose investments to pay off debts... then I got a lovely letter from a student loan demanding thousands... so I paid it off. Then I wanted to pay off part of my car but I offered to pay my sister back for a loan from years ago and unfortunately she said yes so then I sold the rest of my stock and paid her back. If I had held the stock until now obviously I could have done more with an extra $7k. Anyway stock gone, money gone, 2 debts gone.

Then I wanted a new electrical panel and it cost me 5k. That decimated my emergency fund and put me in 3.3k of debt, which is now down to 2k. But I was able to put in a nema 14-50 plug so hopefully I'm ready for my new tesla, if and when i'm able to pull that off. The electrical upgrade gets my house closer to ready for a tesla. Also improves the value of my house.

According to dave ramsey i'm not allowed to mortgage my house to buy the (dip? really? it's at like a 6 month high) although I get you're joking. Not having any tesla stock makes me feel like i'm the eskimo who's not allowed to go in the igloo on a cold blizzard night. It feels horrible. especially when on paper my opportunity loss is a significant chunk of money.

I am kind of hoping some disaster brings tsla back down into range so I can buy it and make some money. sorry. But even if it's at $500 or $1,000 when I get the chance I will be buying when I can.

However i'm going to dca up to about 1k (that will be my emergency fund) and part of that will be tesla although technically i'm not supposed to buy stock yet according to Dave Ramsey's baby steps 1 and 2. Also according to dave ramsey i should not buy the car... but I want to try FSD and I can use the car for some non-financial goals that are also important to me. I'm highly likely to buy the tesla though anyway. That's what my heart is telling me to do.

Last edited:

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
Country flag
I've followed your complaining on this issue, but I still don't understand what you are being critical of. Tesla's not going to enforce patents against anyone that copies their charger designs.

I'm not sure what you have against the company doing more to drive EV adoption by lowering costs and sharing information, building out (and sharing) EV charging infrastructure, and driving down the costs of their EV's themselves, than any other company around.

What do you want Tesla to do that they haven't already done? Hold the hand of competitors engineers, and train them how to design a robust system without wasting money?
I have absolutely nothing against Tesla and I own enough stock that I should be getting my choice of event to attend annually quite frankly. we do steal solar jobs from each other often but that’s just business

since they designed the de facto outlet but have not disclosed what if anything they are getting in trade for this alliance, I’d like them to open source the main cabinet designs and show other manufacturers how they produce them effectively at scale so that the free market can continue to thrive vs the current trajectory of a monopoly over the DCFC market.
ford trucks have served us well but if they were the only truck on the market they wouldn’t be nearly as good and they’d cost twice as much.

I am not as well versed in the gas pump business as I could be given the number of business deals with stations but I do know that there at least four pump manufacturers yet they are very very similar outside the cabine designs and the customer facing software.

Last edited:

Eye of Elon

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Yaris
Occupation
Driver
Country flag
Now, I just need someone to manufacture a gas cap that takes a NACS charger, until I get my Cybertruck. You see, my employer built a too small parking lot and the electric car spots are the only ones open.

GlockandRoll

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche on the weekends, diesel truck mon-fri
Occupation
Arms dealer and musician
Country flag
I can hear $TSLA shorts crying from here.

If the stock price doesn't skyrocket today it'll mean that universal adoption of NACS has already been priced in by Wall St.
After the rally, I hate the stock market.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I have absolutely nothing against Tesla and I own enough stock that I should be getting my choice of event to attend annually quite frankly. we do steal solar jobs from each other often but that’s just business
I never said or implied you have something against Tesla. But you do seem to complain a lot that they don't share their expertise with others enough. How many shares do you think entitles you to VIP event status?

since they designed the de facto outlet but have not disclosed what if anything they are getting in trade for this alliance, I’d like them to open source the main cabinet designs and show other manufacturers how they produce them effectively at scale so that the free market can continue to thrive vs the current trajectory of a monopoly over the DCFC market.
ford trucks have served us well but if they were the only truck on the market they wouldn’t be nearly as good and they’d cost twice as much.

I am not as well versed in the gas pump business as I could be given the number of business deals with stations but I do know that there at least four pump manufacturers yet they are very very similar outside the cabine designs and the customer facing software.
Just as I thought. You want Tesla engineers to hold the hands of their competitors, not to teach them basic engineering and electrical design, but to actually design their cabinets free of charge. Why do you complain that Tesla lets them design them their own way? Competition has a way of ferreting out the best and most cost-effective solutions.

There are multiple manufacturers of fast charging electrical equipment and even more suppliers to this market. It's the free market in action. What you are proposing sounds more like crying that some companies are not as talented at what they do so Tesla should do it for them.

On one hand you want a variety of competitors, but on the other hand, you don't want them to compete with each other. It makes no sense.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Gas stations can use different pumps, but still deliver gas. A gas station not making the specifications of their pump open would not keep anyone from designing a gas pump.

Tesla gave the specs for the connector, the electronics that drive that are like the fuel pump.

I am interested to see what they do with Wiferion...

Kahpernicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Country flag

Gas stations aren't monopolized because of the pumps they use.

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
Country flag
Gas stations aren't monopolized because of the pumps they use.
Gas stations aren’t monopolized period.

the are a myriad of companies supplying the fuels and and 20x as many national and regional brands dispensing that energy.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
you do realize tesla has ALREADY open sourced the design right??

This is straight off teslas site..

With more than a decade of use and 20 billion EV charging miles to its name, the Tesla charging connector is the most proven in North America, offering AC charging and up to 1 MW DC charging in one slim package. It has no moving parts, is half the size, and twice as powerful as Combined Charging System (CCS) connectors.

In pursuit of our mission to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy, today we are opening our EV connector design to the world. We invite charging network operators and vehicle manufacturers to put the Tesla charging connector and charge port, now called the North American Charging Standard (NACS), on their equipment and vehicles. NACS is the most common charging standard in North America: NACS vehicles outnumber CCS two-to-one, and Tesla's Supercharging network has 60% more NACS posts than all the CCS-equipped networks combined.

Network operators already have plans in motion to incorporate NACS at their chargers, so Tesla owners can look forward to charging at other networks without adapters. Similarly, we look forward to future electric vehicles incorporating the NACS design and charging at Tesla’s North American Supercharging and Destination Charging networks.

https://www.tesla.com/blog/opening-north-american-charging-standard
Um.... Wrong technology.
I was responding to:

Now tesla needs to open source the schematics for DC fast chargers because a monopolized charging infrastructure would be absolutely horrific for consumers and entirely opposite of teslas mission statement
The NACS EV connector is just the plug and associated communication related to how the electricity transfer gets loaded into the vehicle. What @SolarWizard was talking about was the actual DC fast charger that the NACS connector is wired to.