• 👋 Welcome! If you were registered on Cybertruckownersclub.com as of October 14, 2024 or earlier, you can simply login here with the same username and password as on Cybertruckownersclub.

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Tesla to open ~20% of its U.S. Supercharger network to other EV by end of 2024

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I understand opening up the Supercharging network to non-Teslas is one of the requirements to access the federal funding to construct more charging centers, but in a way, by opening up the Supercharger network, isn't Tesla supporting their EV competitors who haven't used enough thought or effort to constructing their own charging network?
Tesla’s mission is to move the world to sustainable energy. Opening their charging network to competitors is compatible with that mission.

Also, charging competitors for using Superchargers can become a revenue stream. In Europe they charge non-Teslas a monthly subscription fee in addition to the Supercharger rates. So Tesla’s competitors become a revenue stream.

People think of Tesla as a car company, but they are a car company and a fuel company all in one. It’s like GM and Exxon together. The charging potion of Tesla can make profit separate from the car half.

slomo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Tesla will come out ahead with this policy. They establish a financial relationship and provide an app to a large number of non-Tesla EV owners. Then the allow them to use 1 of 10 DCFC chargers. Which way will that EV buyers lean when getting their next new car? For the driver who does a lot of DCFC charging being able to use all the Tesla chargers likely become very attractive.

Tesla is smart. They aren't doing favors for any competitor. They're making CCS owning Tesla critics third class citizens of the empire. It worked for Rome.

Also, Tesla will likely build more total chargers with this money. Instead of doing an eight station rural Supercharger perhaps they do 12.

Deleted member 11233

They're making CCS owning Tesla critics third class citizens of the empire. It worked for Rome.
Civis Romanus!

From the show The West Wing: " "Did you know that two thousand years ago, a Roman citizen could walk across the face of the known world, free of the fear of molestation? He could walk across the earth unharmed, cloaked only in the protection of the words 'Civis romanus' - 'I am a Roman citizen'. So great was the retribution of Rome, universally understood as certain, should any harm befall even one of its citizens." "

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
It was inevitable long term anyway. It accelerates Tesla in the minds of the majority, as the leader in the EV /Energy business.

It is a brand tsunami.

calabaza

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, Hyundai Palisade
Country flag
I keep seeing articles that Tesla is opening up its network to non tesla vehicles, but I am not seeing the opposite anywhere. This is all part of the new bill, correct? All other networks that use federal funds to create their DC fast chargers will have to be open to Tesla too, right? So won't they also have to provide some sort of "Magic Doc" or another cable that uses the NACS plug?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I keep seeing articles that Tesla is opening up its network to non tesla vehicles, but I am not seeing the opposite anywhere. This is all part of the new bill, correct? All other networks that use federal funds to create their DC fast chargers will have to be open to Tesla too, right? So won't they also have to provide some sort of "Magic Doc" or another cable that uses the NACS plug?
I’ve used an Electrify America charger, works fine. Just need the adaptor.

I get your point here, but few people care about getting access to crappy networks. There are occasionally benefits to getting access to EA or EVGo, but it’s rare and getting less and less necessary.

EV Go has talked about getting a Tesla connector in the past, but it’s never panned out.

flowerlandfilms

First Name
Eryk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yamaha SRV-250, Honda Odyssey RB1
Occupation
Film Maker
Country flag
Civis Romanus!

From the show The West Wing: " "Did you know that two thousand years ago, a Roman citizen could walk across the face of the known world, free of the fear of molestation? He could walk across the earth unharmed, cloaked only in the protection of the words 'Civis romanus' - 'I am a Roman citizen'. So great was the retribution of Rome, universally understood as certain, should any harm befall even one of its citizens." "
Unless you were a Viking. Or a Pict. In which case you would beat the Roman to death and take his shoes.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
A good article on related point from MIT Tech Review today:

The U.S. only has 6,000 fast charging stations for EVs. Here’s where they all are.

Some TLDR highlight data:

• In contrast to 6,000 fast charging stations, the United States has around 150,000 fuel stations

• 400,000 EVs were sold in 2021, up from barely 10,000 in 2012

• Still, EVs represent less than 3% of new car sales

Interestingly, that seems to mean that the ratio of EV to non-EV new car sales (3%) is almost on scale with the ratio of fast charge to fueling stations (4%).

The money shot fast charge station map:

Cybercab Robotaxi Tesla to open ~20% of its U.S. Supercharger network to other EV by end of 2024 C43396AF-204A-4089-AB2B-75F0B999C7AC

Living in central Texas, I can infer from this map that the cluster there is *not* non-Tesla fast charger stations (of which there are maybe 3 in Austin).

However, according to Wiki in the U.S. Tesla has 1,772 supercharger stations in North America. If MIT’s 6,000 total fast charge stations in U.S. figure is correct, that suggests Tesla has (at most) less than 1/3 of the fast charge stations in the US? That surprised me.

However, the MIT article says that “most” fast charging stations have only one or two chargers at the station. Since Tesla stations have an average of 9 (Wiki), it would suggest that while there are 2/3 more non-Tesla stations, the total number of chargers may be Tesla’s prize?

Would love to see the MIT map broken out as Tesla vs non-Tesla fast charge stations. Still, here’s Teslas own version:

Cybercab Robotaxi Tesla to open ~20% of its U.S. Supercharger network to other EV by end of 2024 CE7D857A-7000-49FE-9809-455FBF46EA4D

Rather than “fly over states” we start calling them “charge through” states?

Last edited:

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
Only 3,500 are superchargers, only by end of 2024 … disappointing
And since there are at least 10 chargers at a station, question is:
• will there be only 350 station locations open to non-Teslas, with all chargers available, or
• will there be 3500 station locations open to non-Teslas, with only a single non-Tesla charger available, or
• somewhere between the above two
So, pick your poison: only 350 available stations nationwide, or only a single available charger at 3,500 stations nationwide
neither very life-changing after two years of effort
otherwise for the L1s, not sure how Tesla is “opening up” those - done have been
Cybercab Robotaxi Tesla to open ~20% of its U.S. Supercharger network to other EV by end of 2024 ANt4IgU

[update start]
7500 chargers by 2024. The numbers seem like we are talking about plugs/ports/pedestals vs Superchargers/sites/locations.

Totals in light green. Increments in white. In 2022 they added 399 *site* locations.
Based on these numbers it has to be 3500 ports (aka stalls).
FYI: numbers extracted from supercharge.info website.
[update end]

Tesla said it will more than double its nationwide network of Superchargers by the end of 2024.

I played around with the 2023 & 2024 numbers (purple boxes) to nearly double it and it was a 45% (x1.45) increase YoY to get there.
That is more than any previous year (2020 at 41.21%).

Cybercab Robotaxi Tesla to open ~20% of its U.S. Supercharger network to other EV by end of 2024 9hZ7d7F

Cybercab Robotaxi Tesla to open ~20% of its U.S. Supercharger network to other EV by end of 2024 9hZ7d7F

Locations of just permits and active construction as of 2023-02-17
Cybercab Robotaxi Tesla to open ~20% of its U.S. Supercharger network to other EV by end of 2024 NcnQVt9

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Tesla said it will more than double its nationwide network of Superchargers by the end of 2024.

I played around with the 2023 & 2024 numbers (purple boxes) to nearly double it and it was a 45% (x1.45) increase YoY to get there.

Cybercab Robotaxi Tesla to open ~20% of its U.S. Supercharger network to other EV by end of 2024 {filename}

Cybercab Robotaxi Tesla to open ~20% of its U.S. Supercharger network to other EV by end of 2024 {filename}

Don’t consider this a complaint, Supercharger network is rad and a huge accomplishment.

That said, I’m not sure Tesla has ever really hit their projections on growth during any short period of time. So don’t be surprised if growth ends up “only” 75%.

slomo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Tesla charges fine on CCS sites like EA. You just need to buy the adapter from Tesla in North America. In Europe the cars are made with CCS2 sockets.

slomo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

7500 chargers by 2024. The numbers seem like we are talking about plugs/ports/pedestals vs Superchargers/sites/locations.

Totals in light green. Increments in white. In 2022 they added 399 *site* locations.
Based on these numbers it has to be 3500 ports (aka stalls).
FYI: numbers extracted from supercharge.info website.

3500 chargers, which will include between 1 and 3500 locations. Only 250kw chargers, so the older 150kw superchargers will not include CCS.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
to clarify: the 7,500 number includes ~1/2 super chargers and 1/2 L2s.

Ignoring the L2s (because we should), that leaves the 3,500 superchargers, not supercharger stations.

What you’ve quoted above is the first I’ve noticed of stating these 3,500 dual-use super chargers may not be new installs, but ‘retrofitted’ installs at existing stations.

In any event, from the perspective expanding into charging deserts (whether Tesla or others), what’s relevant are new stations.

If Tesla currently has ~1,400 stations and less than 1/3 of total 6,000 current stations, the doubling by end of 2024 suggests 2,800 stations total. Within those 2,800 stations 3,500 dual use chargers available, with non-Tesla availability being distributed either:

• ~350 stations with all chargers therein being dual use (since Tesla averages about 10 chargers per starion)
• ~all 2,800 Tesla stations having at least 1 dual use charger
• somewhere inbetween

Whatever causes more stations, the better!

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
3500 chargers, which will include between 1 and 3500 locations. Only 250kw chargers, so the older 150kw superchargers will not include CCS.
I'm confused by your comment as the text (link below) explicitly says "7,500 chargers" and "at least 3,500" superchargers. I think chargers=plugs and superchargers=locations.

Tesla for the first time, will open a portion of its U.S. Supercharger and Destination Charger network to non-Tesla EVs, making at least 7,500 chargers available for all EVs by the end of 2024. The open chargers will be distributed across the United States. They will include at least 3,500 new and existing 250 kW Superchargers along highway corridors
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...ational-network-of-electric-vehicle-chargers/

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag