• 👋 Welcome! If you were registered on Cybertruckownersclub.com as of October 14, 2024 or earlier, you can simply login here with the same username and password as on Cybertruckownersclub.

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

FSD price increases to $15k September 5th

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I think driver assist may one day perform the majority of functions to be practically FSD. The price point will be mass market.

FSD could be the commercial version, it will be priced as a business.

I think I booked at AU$12000, now it will be almost AU$22,000.

M wife was happy the other week , when I said the CT could join the network and make money the 6 months a year we are overseas

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
How much does it cost to have a designated driver on call? Or for a driver for a visually impaired person? Or for the ability to safely watch movies while you “Drive”?

$15k is dirt cheap for fully functioning FSD. But until it’s fully functional, it’s way too much. It needs to be at a level where you climb in, type an Address, and let it get you there.

It’s a weird uncanny valley right now. Good enough where it’s mind-bendingly cool, but not good enough where it’s super useful.
An on-call driver isn't worth much to me, because I don't need one. Even if I were super rich, I doubt I'd want a driver. I like driving.

FSD is cool though. Autopilot I would love, since I'm at the meeting point of several high-quality but boring highways. Is suspect it will function really well on those roads and I look forward to being able to relax heading to the in-laws, the beach and two nearby cities. I'll use it all the time. Current FSD would see rare use for me, since the final steps to my destination on city streets I'm more than happy to do myself. I would love FSD for my wife, who has some health limitations that periodically affect her ability to dive safely.

True FSD would be absolutely amazing if I could have some drinks and it would safely and legally take me home. There's countless sea-side premium and hipster restaurants around here that are just begging to be enjoyed with a bottle of wine and/or a few pints. Unfortunately cabs can be difficult in those situations. I just heard about a big country concert this weekend 30mins away. There's still tickets, but no hotels, and cabs would be an absolute nightmare and costly. And you don't do country without beers. It would be amazing to just drive to the concert, have fun, drink beers and the CT DD's it's way home. But I think that ability is a long ways out. Not that Tesla's won't be able; MADD and other groups will lobby hard against allowing such functionality and lawmakers will be scared to put it in place only to see a cybertruck run over a toddler while it drags their passed out owner home.

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I have FSD. I drove in Nebraska for the first time ever last month. I put it on FSD to my destination and had a revelation. It's good enough that if I cut my hand off I would feel comfortable with FSD driving me to the hospital. It's not good enough that I would feel comfortable with it driving while I'm holding an open-top hot coffee.

Last year people said it is like a 16 year old. I think it's now at a 23 year old. In a year it will be like a 30 year old but probably a lot better than most drivers in most situations.

And I know that everyone who reads this is a better than average driver and has been driving perfectly for forever. I'm not talking about you, I'm talking about the boneheads who cause traffic every single day in every major city.
I had another revelation today. After a long day out in the mountains we picked up some burgers and fries on the way home. I was driving so I had my wife feed me some fries during the ride home.

When she gave me the first one I made a vacuum joke and pretended to suck it up (super hungry from the hike). I almost inhaled it and choked on it... Luckily, I had FSD engaged and I was resting my hand on the wheel. I was able to forget about the road for 30 seconds and compose myself before being notified to touch the wheel and focus on driving. If I was in any other car that could have been a different story.

I've seen some terrible drivers, and this was not my proudest driving moment. However, because of FSD I can continue to say that I've never been in an accident.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
An on-call driver isn't worth much to me, because I don't need one. Even if I were super rich, I doubt I'd want a driver. I like driving.
FSD isn’t going to be for everyone. Just like Plaid isn’t for everyone, a lot of people don’t need off-road tires or even 4WD. It’s an option for a reason.

CyberBC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Dodge Ram 3500, 2011 Chevy Volt
Occupation
Farrier
Country flag
I have always thought of the FSD cost as an investment. If you look at it as the current net present value of future cash flows or personal utility. The price was always going to have to go up as we approach full functionality. I expect within 10 years it will be worth around 100k for robotaxis so 15K right now seems fair. It's both an investment and you get to watch first hand how this tech improves incrementally. It was never going to be a case of "Oh we got it working today, now we charge 100K. Where's the fun in that or the business model?

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
15k is bonkers.
Pretty soon rabid fans will be willing to pay half the price of their full vehicle.. just to get a computer to drive them around. And they will bitch about the price of the vehicle going up 7k a year, but not the price of FSD doubling every year for fractional increases of functionality.

FSD is what I consider grifting off the suckers. Its a much larger version of charging 100 bucks for a tesla belt buckle and people jumping all over it.

TAKE YOUR MONEY!!

..don't take my money!

kev12345

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
Country flag
I have always thought of the FSD cost as an investment. If you look at it as the current net present value of future cash flows or personal utility. The price was always going to have to go up as we approach full functionality. I expect within 10 years it will be worth around 100k for robotaxis so 15K right now seems fair. It's both an investment and you get to watch first hand how this tech improves incrementally. It was never going to be a case of "Oh we got it working today, now we charge 100K. Where's the fun in that or the business model?
Let’s be real. The vehicles sold today probably don’t have the hardware to act as a fully autonomous robotaxi. If you’re looking at it as a future investment, you’re better off throwing the $15k at TSLA stock. Use that to buy an actual capable autonomous vehicle when they become available in the future.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
All this talk about FSD going up to $15K made me think about it, and the VALUE of it. An interesting thought I had was that possibly people with used Tesla's could be selling their cars with FSD for more than what they originally paid for it. After a bit of a search I found an article about that. Apparently that is NOT happening. Most are getting less than 50% of what they paid for FSD. The article was written by findmyelectric.com and here's their article:

https://www.findmyelectric.com/blog/how-much-is-full-self-driving-fsd-worth-on-a-used-tesla/

One of the things I found interesting in that article this:

Again—it’s important to note that Tesla currently has a 14% take rate for FSD on new vehicles, and this is not something to overlook; this statistic definitely informs the used market too and just how willing buyers are to spend that kind of money up front.

This makes me think about what Todd the Cybertruck Truck Guy said probably 2 years ago. It's crazy that Tesla puts everything into their every vehicle but gets such a small amount of takers, willing to fork out all that cash. He put together a plan where you pay as you go, based on miles FSD is used. It started off pretty reasonable like $100 a month for 200 miles or less. Then incremental increases based on usage. With a plan like that Tesla would get way more people willing to give them SOME money, to pay for the hardware & software in all those vehicles.

I also agree, by increasing the price to $15K. Elon is trying to get people to think $12K is reasonable. In actuality if Tesla does get their vehicles to be accepted at Level 4 in a reasonable amount of time, then MAYBE $12K is a bargain and in a couple of years when people are clamoring to pay $25K or more for the same thing on the new Tesla's it will increase the value of your used vehicle. WOW that made a funny thought. What if it did come to pass, and you had to pay a crap load of money for FSD on a new vehicle. It could be kinda like when your house goes way up in value, and you don't want to sell it because then you would have to pay way more money for a house equal to the one you already have.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I'm convinced FSD will be the commercial version of advanced driver assist.

Both the same functionality, but one is for personal use, and the other is to make money as a business.

They will each be priced accordingly.. Now we have a grey area.

IMO, Driver assist will be at least $15,000 and FSD $50,000.+

Homes generally have more than 1 car, a large refrigerator, Big colour TV... everyone with a mobile phone and mobile phone contract. Internet, and Netfix or some other pay TV.
We more or less walk around the warm house in loose clothing in winter, and relax in a cool home in a hot summer.

We cook a lot less, and eat out or take away a lot more.

We use a lift instead of taking the stairs.

FSD, or Driver assist, is the new lifestyle addition for everyone, and it is here to stay.

If it is not you, you will be in the shrinking minority.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Let’s be real. The vehicles sold today probably don’t have the hardware to act as a fully autonomous robotaxi. If you’re looking at it as a future investment, you’re better off throwing the $15k at TSLA stock. Use that to buy an actual capable autonomous vehicle when they become available in the future.
Tesla has a legal obligation to provide FSD to the people who buy it. If that means they upgrade your car’s hardware, they will… they are required to. They have already done so once with older Model Ss.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I'm convinced FSD will be the commercial version of advanced driver assist.

Both the same functionality, but one is for personal use, and the other is to make money as a business.

They will each be priced accordingly.. Now we have a grey area.

IMO, Driver assist will be at least $15,000 and FSD $50,000.+

Homes generally have more than 1 car, a large refrigerator, Big colour TV... everyone with a mobile phone and mobile phone contract. Internet, and Netfix or some other pay TV.
We more or less walk around the warm house in loose clothing in winter, and relax in a cool home in a hot summer.

We cook a lot less, and eat out or take away a lot more.

We use a lift instead of taking the stairs.

FSD, or Driver assist, is the new lifestyle addition for everyone, and it is here to stay.

If it is not you, you will be in the shrinking minority.
I think you are spot on. I envision several products managed by Tesla AI. The Robotaxi application for providers. This is over and above FSD. As you say FSD is for individuals. The Robotaxi app is going to destroy Uber and change transportation as we know it.

Tesla will also manage a virtual energy storage energy market which is highly configurable with many price points. You can choose how much, when and how deep to cycle your batteries.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Congrats to all who locked in $6k or $7k.
Was there a time when FSD was $6k for CT? I thought it debuted at $7k.

Ate too much Mexican food. I think I’m going to nap on the way home.
Ok, once true FSD is a thing, I'm picturing falling asleep in the car after leaving a Mexican restaurant and waking up at 3am in my driveway. Wonder if there'll be a destination wake up setting. :)

When I'm in the car I suspect I'll drive manually a lot, but the part of true FSD I really think will be useful is sending my car on it's own. Dad needs to borrow my pickup truck, sister needs to be picked up from the airport, neighbor's car won't start at the Walmart 30 minutes away and asked if I could come and get him. The business of making signs and bumper stickers that say "Mom's Taxi" will go bankrupt. (I'm sure that's a multi hundred dollar industry) :)