• 👋 Welcome! If you were registered on Cybertruckownersclub.com as of October 14, 2024 or earlier, you can simply login here with the same username and password as on Cybertruckownersclub.

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Why doesn’t Tesla improve their customer service?

Tolly

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber Truck on order, Model S
Occupation
Microfab Equipment Engineer
Country flag
For transparency, I have not owned a Tesla vehicle. I have passed on the FS but really really like the CT and will order as soon as I can after the FS ends. My one lingering concern, despite all the harsh press, is the near universal conclusion that customer service is bad, particularly if you get an early edition or a lemon. It leaves me with some questions people on this forum might be able to answer.

First, just how bad is Tesla service and customer support?

Second, given that this has been an ongoing issue why hasn’t Tesla fixed it?
I own a 2016 Model S and have a CT on order. I have had a very positive experience with customer service in Rochester, NY. Can you be more specific with the complaints you've heard?

L3it3R

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Model 3 Performance FSD, '21 Model Y LR FSD&AB
Occupation
Cybersecurity/Software/Sales/etc.
Country flag
We currently have two Teslas, and up until a few weeks ago I was absolutely fine with their customer service. Watching money leave my account weeks ago and now just sitting here twiddling my thumbs while I get snarky one-liner responses from their team about the current situation is really testing my patience.

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
For the few times I've interacted with Tesla, the customer service has been quite good. What many aren't saying is Tesla vehicles inherently require much less service or customer interaction to begin with - which is a good thing.

Only problem I see that might bother some people, is a lot of their customer facing surface to initiate interaction - is via the Tesla App, which for some takes some getting used to.

I'm not the kind that's going to rush and post if I have a single bad experience or misunderstanding though, because I've got decades of bad experiences dealing with legacy auto service I've gladly left behind.

With this forum now, since Tesla products and Cybertruck are getting more well known, we are having to evaluate new threads if they're from a familiar user or not, and also if they're attempts to inject narratives, or do they really have solid trend-based concerns. I've seen posts of both types, so I'm very careful when reading anymore.

- ÆCIII

samueldion1

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck order
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
What is FS? You don't own a Tesla, but you assume that customer service is bad? Since the cars rarely need to go to a service center, what is the difference? The positives will outweigh the negative spin.

Lasttoy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 & 2017 S. CT ordered 30 may
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
After reading a thousand podt on many sites. The overall opinion is bad. It runs from A to Z.
Several categories.
Within first 3 year warranty
First 8 year warranty
Totally out of all warranty
Most objections are out of warranty very high cost. Lack of knowledge of technical staff. My antique gets zero support. The software updates have NeVER improved my car.
We get different answers from different SC about same exact problem. I saved every email for 8 years. I can prove it. Last week. HQ said no new 90 packs. But I have invoice for 90 pack, 18k. i sent HQ. Never heard back.

OP
OP

Longranger

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GTI
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks all for the feedback on service. It is good to hear that many have been very happy with Tesla service. For people who have not had a Tesla we depend on media and talking with friends to form an impression. We already know the media often have it in for Tesla.

My other main source of feedback has been the Drs. Dining room in a hospital I worked at. There were numerous early Tesla adopters in that group. Most loved thier cars but many complained about service and communication in comparison to Mercedes and BMW. Through most of this time period I was driving an older Diesel Ram 2500 so I just listened.

skinzy

First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911,Ford f-150,Porsche cayenne, CyberTruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Why they can’t even communicate with customers is mind boggling. Worst customer service I‘ve ever experienced. They have redefined the “soup nazi”!

DFWBrad

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (May??), MS'22 (Sold), M3P (Sold)
Country flag
Tesla:
- pre-order of cars that are hot topics: it's not that they don't care about you, it's that the employees just don't know. Tesla is HORRIBLE about keeping you updated on anything in this regards
- Service Centers: I've owned two teslas (owner since 2019), and honestly it's been pretty good for the 6-7 times I've had to get something done. They did semi-forget about my car one time, had I not had a second car I would of been SOL, but it's a very busy service center and there was a secondary item I needed taken care of that wasn't an original issue.
- Remote Service: These people have so far been the goats, have told me ways to save money on various "services" they do, have always been super nice and friendly, and I've always liked these guys. Go above and beyond to be helpful.

It's pretty hit or miss with Tesla, you are just a # ultimately, but the actual employees are pleasant to deal with.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
They tried.

When my wife brings her vehicle for 5,000 service, they keep on telling her it needs a brake job when I just replaced it's pad and rotor.
??? What vehicle is she bringing in for a 5,000 mile service?

The Maintenance Schedule is pretty close to the same for all cars.

Tesla recommends the following maintenance items and intervals, as applicable to your vehicle, to ensure continued reliability and efficiency of your Model 3.

For additional information on vehicle alerts, see Troubleshooting Alerts.

• Brake fluid health check every 4 years (replace if necessary)*.
  • A/C desiccant bag replacement every 4** years.
  • Cabin air filter replacement every 2 years.
  • Clean and lubricate brake calipers every year or 12,500 miles (20,000 km) if in an area where roads are salted during winter.
  • Rotate tires every 6,250 miles (10,000 km) or if tread depth difference is 2/32 in (1.5 mm) or greater, whichever comes first.
I don't see a 5,000 mile Service Interval.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Wow, that's high failure rate. :eek:

And here you are for the Cybertruck.

Some people never learn, lol. :p
Maybe you missed the point of the story. Even when a Tesla had a number of issues, Tesla Service did a good job making it right.

Why are you always so negative?

Since I haven't weighed in yet, I've had great service experiences, especially compared to VW, Volvo, Ford and Mazda. I could tell you stories about those!

What I like most about Tesla Service is they don't try to pry money out of your wallet. They only want to fix your car if it actually needs fixing. One thing they don't do is lick your boots, because they are not using that technique to get into your wallet. That is the ONLY reason some traditional dealerships seem so friendly. And that just turns me off and makes me feel gross when they act like they are your best friend.

Some people love that shit, maybe it makes them feel important, go figure. I don't want to pay for that, I just want a sevice department to take care of my car. And Tesla Service does that without costing an arm and a leg and doing a bunch of completely unnecessary stuff (or saying they did it when they didn't).

Last edited:

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
After reading a thousand podt on many sites. The overall opinion is bad. It runs from A to Z.
See, that's your problem. You think online stories accurately represents what happens to real owners and the real rate of unsatisfactory service experiences.

Some people seem incapable of believing that anyone lies to create a false impression. Even without that dynamic, online forums never represent the true rate of issues because people getting good service rarely visit a forum to tell everyone that things went as expected while people that have an issue need a place to vent.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Why they can’t even communicate with customers is mind boggling. Worst customer service I‘ve ever experienced. They have redefined the “soup nazi”!
They do communicate. When you made your reservation, you were informed that you would be notified when it is time to configure your vehicle.
When you configured your vehicle, you would be informed of the delivery times.
When you got your VIN, you were informed that you would be notified of your delivery date.
Then you get your delivery date and you get your vehicle.

Everything in between that, Tesla really doesn't have any more information that what you have.

I've been quite fine with that amount of communication. The facts and only the facts. Only once or twice in that period did they even attempt to upsale or sale me anything else. But yet, even through address changes, I still get discount oil change coupons from may Leaf dealer. Yes, oil changed from my Leaf dealer!!!

And trust me, rumors on the Internet fly around a LOT faster than facts in a corporation.

CyberTruckeeTheOne

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4runner
Occupation
Retired Operating Plans & Forecasting Manager
Country flag
Maybe you missed the point of the story. Even when a Tesla had a number of issues, Tesla Service did a good job making it right.

Why are you always so negative?

Since I haven't weighed in yet, I've had great service experiences, especially compared to VW, Volvo, Ford and Mazda. I could tell you stories about those!

What I like most about Tesla Service is they don't try to pry money out of your wallet. They only want to fix your car if it actually needs fixing. One thing they don't do is lick your boots, because they are not using that technique to get into your wallet. That is the ONLY reason some traditional dealerships seem so friendly. And that just turns me off and makes me feel gross when they act like they are your best friend.

Some people love that shit, maybe it makes them feel important, go figure. I don't want to pay for that, I just want a sevice department to take care of my car. And Tesla Service does that without costing an arm and a leg and doing a bunch of completely unnecessary stuff (or saying they did it when they didn't).
Oh yeah, from the president of the fan boyz and cult, lol.

Seriously, you don't find anything wrong with these much failure rate?

That's not the point that they fixed it, it's it shoudl not have these many breakdowns and failures.

My brother-in-law had a 25-year old Toyota with 200,000 plus mileage and he said it never had a breakdown ever up to the time he donated it to charity.

And pardon me sir if I see your slip showing. You low balled the service comparison and benchmarks to bottom-feeders Mazda, Ford, etc? Sweet!

But I am disappointed you have not used your back pocket argument that nobody died -- just the waste of time calling for an appointment, bringing it to their service center, waiting for completion and finally the apprehension of another breakdown while travelling on the freeways. Nesr death maybe, but they didn't die.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
They tried.

When my wife brings her vehicle for 5,000 service, they keep on telling her it needs a brake job when I just replaced it's pad and rotor.
There's no evidence their service centers are profitable.

Did they make a mistake or did you? Did you double check?

-Crissa

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Oh yeah, from the president of the fan boyz and cult, lol.

Seriously, you don't find anything wrong with these much failure rate?

That's not the point that they fixed it, it's it shoudl not have these many breakdowns and failures.

My brother-in-law had a 25-year old Toyota with 200,000 plus mileage and he said it never had a breakdown ever up to the time he donated it to charity.

And pardon me sir if I see your slip showing. You low balled the service comparison and benchmarks to bottom-feeders Mazda, Ford, etc? Sweet!
How many failures are you talking about?

It's actually a really small number.
You just have to realize that people generally come to Internet forums to do one thing, complain.
Very few people talk about how great their products are.

Yes, the Model S and Model X, especially the earlier ones had issues, past that, there are actually very few failures in the Model 3 or Model Y platforms.

But, if things are so bad, why are you here? Go get a Toyota! All of them last for 25 years!!!!