• đź‘‹ Welcome! If you were registered on Cybertruckownersclub.com as of October 14, 2024 or earlier, you can simply login here with the same username and password as on Cybertruckownersclub.

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

What We Learned From Semi Launch

Bob Anderson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Sonota
Country flag
I'm sure I missed a lot, but feel free to add your thoughts. Some is definitely speculation.

1. 1MW CT charging. Didn't expect it to be that high! It definitely goes back to the "what do you think this is, a children's toy quote". V4 rollout will likely happen quickly once CT is ramped, and *hopefully* finally with pull-through charging. Do you think this will use NACS, or NACS and Semi charge port? https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-semi-megacharger-charging-port-close-up-look/

2. Future 4680 Semi will be nuts. If a CT can charge at 1MW, the Semi definitely can go higher when it switches from 2170 to 4680. Will there be a V5 charger for 4680 semi?

3. Semi battery capacity. The current website says 0-70% charging in 30min. A 1MW charging, that is around 640kWh. It's definitely less than the 2kWh/mile, but at 1.28kWh/mile, that does seem a little low. A drop in the charge curve through 70% however would mean it would have to have an even smaller battery pack. Unless it was calculated on a charger that was able to deliver >1MW charging. Someone smarter than me can help figure that out.

4. CT will be efficient at towing. Way more efficient than current trucks with motors geared for torque or highway speed.

5. 4680 Tesla vehicles will leave the competition in the dust. Charging speeds won't even be close.

6. 500 mile CT will most likely be able to add 250miles of range in 10min taper in charge curve.
https://www.inchcalculator.com/electric-vehicle-charging-time-calculator/

OP
OP

Bob Anderson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Sonota
Country flag
I don't see how you came to any of these conclusions. :/

-Crissa
I don't think there's much to explain on 1, 2, 4, and 5. More excitement and speculation.

3. Semi battery capacity. The current website says 0-70% charging in 30min. A 1MW charging, that is around 640kWh. It's definitely less than the 2kWh/mile, but at 1.28kWh/mile, that does seem a little low. A drop in the charge curve through 70% however would mean it would have to have an even smaller battery pack. Unless it was calculated on a charger that was able to deliver >1MW charging. Someone smarter than me can help figure that out.
I used the calculator link below. You can play around w/ it, but at 1MW charging 0-70% stated on Tesla semi website, I calculate around 640kWh battery. That is assuming that it can stay at 1MW charging the entire 0-70%. If it tapers, it means the battery is even smaller. However, this assumption all goes away if they were charging it above 1MW, but they didn't mention above 1MW in the presentation. 640kW seems really really low, so I do think I'm overlooking something.

6. 500 mile CT will most likely be able to add 250miles of range in 10min taper in charge curve.
I looked at the charge curve of a Model S which has the fastest charging for any current Tesla. 0-50% charge I assume a constant 70% max charge rate average. Assume that based on how long it sits at 250kW it can go higher than that. I then take that same 70% average charge rate of the MS and apply it to the 1MW charging of the 500 mile CT. 700kW charging for 50% SOC, or around 250 miles in 10 min.

Yes, definitely all speculation. But would love any feedback for oversight.

Richard V.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt 2015
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I don't think there's much to explain on 1, 2, 4, and 5. More excitement and speculation.

I used the calculator link below. You can play around w/ it, but at 1MW charging 0-70% stated on Tesla semi website, I calculate around 640kWh battery. That is assuming that it can stay at 1MW charging the entire 0-70%. If it tapers, it means the battery is even smaller. However, this assumption all goes away if they were charging it above 1MW, but they didn't mention above 1MW in the presentation. 640kW seems really really low, so I do think I'm overlooking something.

I looked at the charge curve of a Model S which has the fastest charging for any current Tesla. 0-50% charge I assume a constant 70% max charge rate average. Assume that based on how long it sits at 250kW it can go higher than that. I then take that same 70% average charge rate of the MS and apply it to the 1MW charging of the 500 mile CT. 700kW charging for 50% SOC, or around 250 miles in 10 min.

Yes, definitely all speculation. But would love any feedback for oversight.
Some more info here: Cybertruck 1000V Architecture + V4 Supercharging Confirmed!! ⚡ "It's Going to be Used for Cybertruck Too" - Elon Musk | Tesla Cybertruck Forum & Owners Club - News & Discussions - Cybertruckownersclub.com

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I learned that Tesla and Elon are being very quiet about the specs. and everything. No price, No number of deliveries to date, or estimates of deliveries in the next month or year for that matter, No weight of the vehicle, No size of the battery pack, No actual power consumption, No explanation for why it took 5 years, No information on autopilot or FSD, how many cameras does it have, is there Sentry mode. Do customers have to buy and install charging before delivery of vehicles. What type of charging. When and where will Tesla install 1MW supercharging.

They basically said, we finally were able to do what we said we could do. But we're not gonna tell you much more. Isn't it cool and badass!!!!

Questions and answers? NAH

Apparently I'm not alone in thinking Tesla didn't share much info.

Last edited:

Richard V.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt 2015
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
How many IDRA will be used? What size IDRA machines. What is the plan production rate or plan? Similar to the questions I had about the Cybertruck. Nice to know the power elements will also be used by the Cybertruck.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I heard the same charging technology but that does not mean it will be as high as 1MW. I hope it is, I would love the energy to be able to flow into the battery at that rate

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I learned that Tesla and Elon are being very quiet about the specs. and everything. No price, No number of deliveries to date, or estimates of deliveries in the next month or year for that matter,
Save the pricing, none of that usually comes as part of a delivery event. And pricing is usually known Before hand!

No weight of the vehicle, No size of the battery pack, No actual power consumption,
Again, not usually stuff you hear at a delivery event. That said Musk has filled some in.

It can tow 82k pounds legally. That is all that really matters. There is a little wiggle room in truck weight because it’s electric and sounds like they used it.

That puts they pack in the ballpark of 850-900 kWh a bit smaller than previously though.

No explanation for why it took 5 years, No information on autopilot or FSD, how many cameras does it have, is there Sentry mode. Do customers have to buy and install charging before delivery of vehicles. What type of charging. When and where will Tesla install 1MW supercharging.
I thought it was pretty clear they were trying to catch up with Model Y demand before launching new vehicles. There might be a bigger explanation than that, but the generic explainer they gave early in the year is likely all we’ll get.

Autopilot is coming. I think I saw somewhere it was a later release along with “convoy mode”.

I suspect they are dealing with their large list of fleet buyers before dealing with any independents. They will all want private Superchargers and it seems like pricing for the moment is need to know and very likely under NDA.

They basically said, we finally were able to do what we said we could do. But we're not gonna tell you much more. Isn't it cool and badass!!!!

Questions and answers? NAH

Apparently I'm not alone in thinking Tesla didn't share much info.
I think they reveal more when they can scale up to 50k/ year. Right now they aren’t even taking new orders and I suspect only servicing these contracts because of tremendous pressure from their fleet buyers who put down serious money on these.