• 👋 Welcome! If you were registered on Cybertruckownersclub.com as of October 14, 2024 or earlier, you can simply login here with the same username and password as on Cybertruckownersclub.

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Tesla plans to buy Mercedes Benz

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Ah, that's a shame. Hopefully, the utter lack of original model S's with brittle/cracked wiring at service centers stays consistent. On a related note, I shouldn't say when, but I once heard a bunch of production line managers at Tesla got sacked because they allowed peanut oil as a lubricant when threading wires, which in-turn attracted rats. Morning shift has the dumbest people, I tell you.

Idk, I have a bunch of similar stories like that, which say the exact opposite, when I think bad warranty repairs I think about the Taycan whistleblower (activating reserve battery instead of repair, and charging repair prices). Tesla may take a while to get to you, but there's a lot of effort put towards actually fixing your issue vs bandaiding, and they regularly voluntarily recall real issues. As a quality tech, Tesla tends to have too many pots on the fire when it comes to diagnosing reoccurring supplier issues, i.e. a lot of cosmetic issues go on the back burner. I said it before and I'll say it again, I'm happy to wait for my CT so shit like heater issues and peanut oil get found.
My wife and I were both early adopters of the Model 3 and, going on four years, no issues of any note. My wife's broken charge port door was fixed by a mobile tech in our driveway. My failed trunk switch was repaired the same way. It's been clear sailing.

It's true the Cybertruck will have more new tech in it and I do expect it to have a higher rate of incidents vs. the Model 3 but, if the later models are significantly better, I'll just sell the early one and move into a new one. Cybertrucks are going to be in such high demand for so many years the cost to upgrade to a new one will be somewhere between minimal and zero. Because some people just can't wait.

Clustertruck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Models X, 3, and X, Roadster and Cybertruck res.
Country flag
Tesla didn't buy Grohmann, Maxwell or Hibar primarily for their customers, for their intellectual property, or to thwart the plans of competitors. All three companies were purchased primarily to grow the Tesla team with high-value employees so they could ramp battery production and improve manufacturing efficiency on new and existing production lines. Tesla got a whole bunch of new employees with expertise in exactly what they wanted.

And none of those three companies had the diseased corporate culture that all legacy auto has. This is how Tesla was able to scale the huge barriers to entry that the auto industry had created. It has been largely a closed club for the last 100 years save for some Japanese copycats with lower labor costs.
You could only know "why" Tesla makes an acquisition if you were on the board and even then, you'e not hearing the voices between Musk's ears … : )
I stated the business purposes of M&A and in these cases, it was all about the patents and IP. Tesla later sold off the bones of Maxwell while retaining the "dry" process. In my experience, acquiring the company doesn't acquire the key people – they stay for the "earn out" and spend those months (years) planning their next startup.

nomadmusk

First Name
Droxx
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Civic to Cybertruck
Occupation
2nd infantry of Tesla's Quality Division
Country flag
My wife and I were both early adopters of the Model 3 and, going on four years, no issues of any note. My wife's broken charge port door was fixed by a mobile tech in our driveway. My failed trunk switch was repaired the same way. It's been clear sailing.

It's true the Cybertruck will have more new tech in it and I do expect it to have a higher rate of incidents vs. the Model 3 but, if the later models are significantly better, I'll just sell the early one and move into a new one. Cybertrucks are going to be in such high demand for so many years the cost to upgrade to a new one will be somewhere between minimal and zero. Because some people just can't wait.
Yeah, the service times ppl complain about might seem like too many Teslas having too many issues, but it's actually just a lack of manpower, since its not done by the run of the mill mechanic, its a full-time Tesla employee. Which is why its important to them to actually resolve an issue the first time and not design vehicles with a revolving door in mind. I actually prefer the centralized accountability that comes with each Tesla being fixed by a full-time Tesla employee too, rather then a random dealership franchise which has no relation to the next, or the mechanic that's also swindling you. They get paid based on efficiency, not nonsense fees they were able to tack on, or bonuses based on how much they were able to up-sell you on a vehicle you know nothing about; looking at you muffler bearings, "free oil changes", and brake pads twice a year. If they had it their way, Tesla would prefer you not bother them after the point of sale, they are to busy selling lol. Being a new company, they don't make their margins on repair and that's great.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
You could only know "why" Tesla makes an acquisition if you were on the board and even then, you'e not hearing the voices between Musk's ears … : )
I stated the business purposes of M&A and in these cases, it was all about the patents and IP. Tesla later sold off the bones of Maxwell while retaining the "dry" process. In my experience, acquiring the company doesn't acquire the key people – they stay for the "earn out" and spend those months (years) planning their next startup.
You can certainly know if Tesla buys a business for it’s customers or not. Just look at whether they continue selling those products or not.

Since Tesla‘s Grohmann team no longer designs and sells automation systems to non-Tesla customers, it’s pretty clear they weren’t acquired for their customers. Likewise Maxwell and all their other acquisitions.

Lots of other motivations are more opaque, but whether they are buying a company for their customer base is usually easy to figure out.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I stated the business purposes of M&A and in these cases, it was all about the patents and IP.
If one can only know why Tesla makes an acquisition if that person was on the Board of Directors, and you stated that Tesla's three acquisitions were for reasons of patents and IP, then it logically follows that you were on Tesla's Board of Directors.

Therefore, if you were not on the BoD, you are full of you know what!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Ah, that's a shame. Hopefully, the utter lack of original model S's with brittle/cracked wiring at service centers stays consistent. On a related note, I shouldn't say when, but I once heard a bunch of production line managers at Tesla got sacked because they allowed peanut oil as a lubricant when threading wires, which in-turn attracted rats. Morning shift has the dumbest people, I tell you.
I have a bunch of wiring bought at different times for different projects, and... well, bad wiring is just a crapshoot. Sometimes I have to be really picky, and other times it didn't seem to matter. X-x

-Crissa

Clustertruck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If one can only know why Tesla makes an acquisition if that person was on the Board of Directors, and you stated that Tesla's three acquisitions were for reasons of patents and IP, then it logically follows that you were on Tesla's Board of Directors.

Therefore, if you were not on the BoD, you are full of you know what!
you've got a reading comprehension problem

Clustertruck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You can certainly know if Tesla buys a business for it’s customers or not. Just look at whether they continue selling those products or not.

Since Tesla‘s Grohmann team no longer designs and sells automation systems to non-Tesla customers, it’s pretty clear they weren’t acquired for their customers. Likewise Maxwell and all their other acquisitions.

Lots of other motivations are more opaque, but whether they are buying a company for their customer base is usually easy to figure out.
My post was in response to someone say they could know that Tesla was buying a company for its brains and not for the usual acquisition purposes – you're supporting my point that acquiring Grohmann thwarts competitors.