• đź‘‹ Welcome! If you were registered on Cybertruckownersclub.com as of October 14, 2024 or earlier, you can simply login here with the same username and password as on Cybertruckownersclub.

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Question for all of you on our side steps

LuckysFabShop

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
beast
Country flag
Our plan is to manufacture out of 316 stainless steel so it is truly anti rust. Finished steps will be power coated but we still wanted to have a product that will never rust out as power coating can and will still chip over time. 316 stainless is not cheap, so my question is would you like a option of the steps made in regular carbon steel as well if half the cost? Lets say Stainless is $1400 carbon steel is $700 witch one would you buy?

Last edited:

getsometom

Site Sponsor
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
makerspacedude.etsy.com
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
It depends on the price of your stainless steel version. People may have different opinions and preferences on pricing if the carbon steel is half of $5000 vs. half of $500 (just throwing out random numbers for comparison purposes)

OP
OP
LuckysFabShop

LuckysFabShop

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
beast
Country flag
It depends on the price of your stainless steel version. People may have different opinions and preferences on pricing if the carbon steel is half of $5000 vs. half of $500 (just throwing out random numbers for comparison purposes)
Lets say stainless is $1400. The carbon steel would be $700. What would you purchase

getsometom

Site Sponsor
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
makerspacedude.etsy.com
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Will the carbon steel version also be powder coated?

I'd personally be more interested in the stainless but there are many other factors to consider in the decision making process: durability, price, color options, lifetime expectation comparsion, application, warranty...to name a few.

OP
OP
LuckysFabShop

LuckysFabShop

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
beast
Country flag
Will the carbon steel version also be powder coated?

I'd personally be more interested in the stainless but there are many other factors to consider in the decision making process: durability, price, color options, lifetime expectation comparsion, application, warranty...to name a few.
Yes carbon steel version would be powder coated as well.

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.meyerwine.com
Vehicles
Model 3, '73 GMC truck, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist, Vintner
Country flag
Missed this thread somehow! Glad I found it. I would probably go for stainless because (1) I know I will scrape them often and (2) I know I'll be getting them wet often.

Would it be prohibitively expensive for you to offer both? I can see both options being popular.

Last edited:

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Missed this thread somehow! Glad I found it. I would probably go for stainless because (1) I know I will scrape them often and (2) I know I'll be getting them wet often.

Would it be prohibitively expensive for you to offer both? I can see both options being popular.
I don't think they will get as scraped as much as you think unless they significantly reduce ground clearance. 16+ inches of free ground clearance is unheard of in a pickup truck (or any stock road-going vehicle). I've driven over lots of logs and big rocks without scraping or damaging the plastic kick panels and I only use Extract Mode when I know I will need it. You can go over really rugged terrain without ever putting it in Extract Mode.

Most people who put these on will never come close to contacting the ground with them. Plus, if a member of the fairer sex needs assistance getting in, I'm right there to help! ?

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.meyerwine.com
Vehicles
Model 3, '73 GMC truck, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist, Vintner
Country flag
I don't think they will get as scraped as much as you think unless they significantly reduce ground clearance. 16+ inches of free ground clearance is unheard of in a pickup truck (or any stock road-going vehicle). I've driven over lots of logs and big rocks without scraping or damaging the plastic kick panels and I only use Extract Mode when I know I will need it. You can go over really rugged terrain without ever putting it in Extract Mode.

Most people who put these on will never come close to contacting the ground with them. Plus, if a member of the fairer sex needs assistance getting in, I'm right there to help! ?
You're right, but I'm also hoping they'll design these as rock sliders/steps. So intentionally being lower is an assumption I'm making that's just wishful thinking. I can dream!