• 👋 Welcome! If you were registered on Cybertruckownersclub.com as of October 14, 2024 or earlier, you can simply login here with the same username and password as on Cybertruckownersclub.

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Why is no one talking about this "Next Gen Platform?"

newwave1331

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered: Cybertruck Tri FSD x 3
Country flag
but the discussion here turns on Musk now repeatedly talking about a “dedicated robotaxi” product - and that this dedicated robotaxi product will an unusual form factor, even lack steering wheel, etc.

not the separate idea that any Tesla product could be used as a robotaxi

Because Musk has multiple times in the last year said there are 2 more products coming, including the dedicated robotaxi, and because there are only two ghosts in these photos, and one is obviously a sedan - it leads to the conclusion the other ghost is the dedicated robotaxi vehicle

so if that ghost is the “cybervan” it suggests the cybervan will be the dedicated robotaxi

along lines of this analysis

in any event, that ghost figure doesn’t appear to betray a “cyber” like SS angular construction
If the 700M sheet has a sedan under it, it will be for transporting kids. The length to height ratio looks like the roadster (which isn't part of this slide but its on Tesla's product list). Its a pancake compared to the model S. I'm calling skateboard to be first used as a dedicated robotaxi and then possibly license to other companies when surplus is available.

Why would a dedicated robotaxi/shuttle be above a pickup truck and lumped in with that 300M figure?

Cybertruck is pulling too may customers into one product and it will never be able to please everyone.

Model X is overpriced and is in a market of growing competition over the next couple years. It doesn't satisfy the large "SUV"/family hauler that people want. I think it benefited greatly by no competition and sec 179 for urban soccer moms.

People want a boxlike tank on wheels that can go offroad, tow >10k lbs, long range/gigacharging, and fit all the shit the wife "needs" on roadtrips for the children. You can combine this with a commercial work & delivery van. A cybervan to compete with sprinter, promaster, transit, suburban/tahoe/yukon, expedition, wagoneer.... put a modular rail floor in so a shuttle can put 4 rows of economy seats to be a passenger shuttle, 2 rows of captain chairs, a fitout for a contractor, shelving for UPS/FedEx and many more applications.

700M figure by itself is a huge claim for taxi use only. If its going to be a dedicated taxi, shouldn't it be shaped more like a model y? My bigger friends can barely fit in my model 3!

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Why would a dedicated robotaxi/shuttle be above a pickup truck and lumped in with that 300M figure?
Pretty simple: because you’re not understanding the context of that slide (go see Master Plan slide to understand context)

not sure what you’re arguing about or why

I’m all good

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
That's what I would do.
I’m just showing you Tesla’s slide that previews the next two products. I don’t see a tuk-tuk :)

In any event - Tesla has repeated for a while now that the next two products are next gen, one a dedicated robotaxi, another a ~$25K car

the above I thought was uncontroversial

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
700M figure by itself is a huge claim for taxi use only. If its going to be a dedicated taxi, shouldn't it be shaped more like a model y? My bigger friends can barely fit in my model 3!
OMG! I'm 6'-04" and 215 lbs. with extra broad shoulders, and the Model 3 fits me like it was made for me. Even the backseat is fine for at least a couple of hours. Before that, we had Volvo's largest sedan and it had less headroom, the same legroom and its interior width might have been 1/2" wider or so. I don't like smallish cars, but the Model 3 always felt like I had room to spare. The cab of my F-150 fits me worse than the Model 3 (the firewall is too close to the steering wheel)!

Just how big are your homies? Maybe their legs are not strong enough for exiting/entering with the sporty seating position?

newwave1331

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
OMG! I'm 6'-04" and 215 lbs. with extra broad shoulders, and the Model 3 fits me like it was made for me. Even the backseat is fine for at least a couple of hours. Before that, we had Volvo's largest sedan and it had less headroom, the same legroom and its interior width might have been 1/2" wider or so. I don't like smallish cars, but the Model 3 always felt like I had room to spare. The cab of my F-150 fits me worse than the Model 3 (the firewall is too close to the steering wheel)!

Just how big are your homies?
6’+ but all heavier than you (250-300ish). Once in the vehicle they are ok. It’s entry/exit that’s the problem. Older folks have issues with lower vehicles.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
6’+ but all heavier than you (250-300ish). Once in the vehicle they are ok. It’s entry/exit that’s the problem. Older folks have issues with lower vehicles.
We might have to get rid of the Model 3's before we get into our 80's!

newwave1331

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Imagine a Van in the shape of a shoe box.

No driver, just the most efficient design to fit boxes or pallets in. A box on a platform.

LoneWolfO6

Banned
Banned
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3: Sold it before a year of ownership!!
Occupation
Retired Military
Country flag
Theranos Inc.
They sold blood testing units and made millions, but it never worked, leading to jail time.
Hmmm.
Level five self driving is light years in a galaxy far, far, away.

Cybercab Robotaxi Why is no one talking about this "Next Gen Platform?" IMG_1102

OP
OP
damnitjim

damnitjim

First Name
Bones
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q7 S-Line, Audi Q5 PHEV S-Line, CT3 Pre-Order
Occupation
AV Field Engineer
Country flag
Who said anything about Tesla making automated flying cars?

In any case, the next gen platform has been kept pretty top-secret. Tesla has a history of running a pretty tight ship in terms of the usual leaks to the press in terms of new vehicle specs and designs. On the Cybertruck reveal day, everyone was stunned. No one knew it would be such a simple and pure design.
Nobody.. Just making conversation, and hopium

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
Imagine a Van in the shape of a shoe box.

No driver, just the most efficient design to fit boxes or pallets in. A box on a platform.
It won't be a shoe box. Aero won't allow that with any efficiency. And the majority of people needing a robotaxi, won't have boxes or pallets. Just get me and my backpack, (and if coming from the airport, a suitcase) to my meeting or hotel.

OP
OP
damnitjim

damnitjim

First Name
Bones
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q7 S-Line, Audi Q5 PHEV S-Line, CT3 Pre-Order
Occupation
AV Field Engineer
Country flag
It won't be a shoe box. Aero won't allow that with any efficiency. And the majority of people needing a robotaxi, won't have boxes or pallets. Just get me and my backpack, (and if coming from the airport, a suitcase) to my meeting or hotel.
I don’t know about this. The majority of people needing a taxi in a traditional sense don’t need massive amounts of space. The average rider doesn’t want to share space, and it’s usually 1-3 people for a relatively short trip. IMHO I don’t think an entirely new platform is viable for this when I could just Über out my FSD Tesla as a Robo-Über when I’m at work or sleeping.
I think an electric work van is more likely and necessary. I guess we’ll see. Tesla has been pretty good at gauging and building the future needs of society before we even realize it’s needed.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Just one variation. Over a trillion up for grabs in the delivery business. A box doing lots of stops in a suburb won't need to go fast. Just room for lots of boxes, and a robot to take it to the door.

Couriers / post office etc.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
Just one variation. Over a trillion up for grabs in the delivery business. A box doing lots of stops in a suburb won't need to go fast. Just room for lots of boxes, and a robot to take it to the door.

Couriers / post office etc.
Every bit that can be saved through aero is range that can go to hauling stuff, or getting to father neighborhoods. All I’m saying is the shoebox won’t be shaped like a shoebox. We even have flushmounted door handles on the S3XY line to save range. Or the possibility of removing the mirrors on the CT for 5% bonus. Look at UPS trucks. They have an fiberglass aero front to give them just a few percentage additional range and/or fuel savings.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
All I’m saying is the shoebox won’t be shaped like a shoebox.
To say nothing of Tesla having apparently previewed multiple times what it *will* look like

I mean, we seem to have been shown the silhouettes of the next/only two additional platforms in the pipeline