• đź‘‹ Welcome! If you were registered on Cybertruckownersclub.com as of October 14, 2024 or earlier, you can simply login here with the same username and password as on Cybertruckownersclub.

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Why is no one talking about this "Next Gen Platform?"

damnitjim

First Name
Bones
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q7 S-Line, Audi Q5 PHEV S-Line, CT3 Pre-Order
Occupation
AV Field Engineer
Country flag
So, who has knowledge of this Next Gen Platform? Automated flying cars? I'm surprised we haven't seen more people talking about this unknown.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
So, who has knowledge of this Next Gen Platform? Automated flying cars? I'm surprised we haven't seen more people talking about this unknown.
I believe this is the robotaxi platform, and it sounds like a big deal for Tesla

word on the street, is that we’ll hear a lot more about it over the coming months

I’m pretty into it

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
This I believe is the robotaxi, the 'next gen platform,' and Musk's comments on Wednesday regarding it being more revolutionary than even the CT would visually seem to square with the outline of the 'ghost' below

Cybercab Robotaxi Why is no one talking about this "Next Gen Platform?" Screenshot (219)

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Platform.

Not just the next gen car, but a series of designs to serve as Robotaxis. ?

I would expect no steering wheel, seats facing each other.. room for suitcases. Whatever it is, Franz will probably come up with something which will surprise.

But I dont know what the 'platform' actually entails.. is it a certain size with different body configurations ?
Is it the basis for various 'platforms' for Vans, minibuses, buses, tunnel specific people movers, 2 seaters, etc ?

Im guessing the Robotaxi will have to fill various needs..Does Tesla cover all bases? or does tesla licence to other OEM's to build their niche in the network?

Regenshire

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 RWD LR, Model Y Perf, CyberTruck AWD Order
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I recall from past mentions that the nextgen platform also contain a non-revealed entry level vehicle that Tesla plans to sell at much higher volume then the 3/Y. This would round out their offerings so they have a vehicle(s) with a low price of entry more comparable with lower priced ice vehicles.

The Mexico factory was mentioned as one of the locations that would produce the nextgen platform.

I believe statements in the past have mentioned a price that was half of the Model 3/Y Platform. It was mentioned as early as 2022.

The March 2023 Invester Day event mentioned it as well, stating that it would be more efficient to produce, wouldn't use any rare-Earth materials, would require less sillicon carbide, and the factory design would require half of the factory footprint.

Cybercab Robotaxi Why is no one talking about this "Next Gen Platform?" Tesla-next-gen-car

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I recall from past mentions that the nextgen platform also contain a non-revealed entry level vehicle that Tesla plans to sell at much higher volume then the 3/Y. This would round out their offerings so they have a vehicle(s) with a low price of entry more comparable with lower priced ice vehicles.

The Mexico factory was mentioned as one of the locations that would produce the nextgen platform.

I believe statements in the past have mentioned a price that was half of the Model 3/Y Platform. It was mentioned as early as 2022.

The March 2023 Invester Day event mentioned it as well, stating that it would be more efficient to produce, wouldn't use any rare-Earth materials, would require less sillicon carbide, and the factory design would require half of the factory footprint.

Tesla-next-gen-car.jpg
Yes, this is presumably the second ghost in the Master plan ... just to the right of the presumed robotaxi

Cybercab Robotaxi Why is no one talking about this "Next Gen Platform?" Screenshot (225)

COLAB

First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Website
colabconcept.org
Vehicles
Nissan Frontier
Occupation
Product manager IT services
Country flag
A special Boring taxi vehicle maybe?

For everything that flies there, we are elsewhere because of the legislation and it will not be tomorrow the day before that it flies in the same way as cars on the road! Wait and see !!!! ;) ?

OP
OP
damnitjim

damnitjim

First Name
Bones
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
AV Field Engineer
Country flag

Tesla-next-gen-car.jpg
I think you're right, this is ringing some bells now.

rudedawg78

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 AWD Cybertruck (Foundation Series)
Occupation
Retired USAF, Emergency Manager
Country flag
This I believe is the robotaxi, the 'next gen platform,' and Musk's comments on Wednesday regarding it being more revolutionary than even the CT would visually seem to square with the outline of the 'ghost' below

Screenshot (219).png
I thought this vehicle outline looked like the Cybervan.

OP
OP
damnitjim

damnitjim

First Name
Bones
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
AV Field Engineer
Country flag
Makes more sense for Telsa to make a mass-market work van rather than a robotaxi when every FSD Tesla can be a robotaxi anyway. Nothing new there. Work van makes more sense and will clear the air a lot more, alongside Semi.

Regenshire

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 RWD LR, Model Y Perf, CyberTruck AWD Order
Occupation
IT
Country flag
This is what I thought it was as well because it is grouped with the Cybertruck just like the Y and 3 are grouped together and the S and X are grouped together.

To me, it implies it is part of the same platform.

No clue what segment the robotaxi might be in.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
This is what I thought it was as well because it is grouped with the Cybertruck just like the Y and 3 are grouped together and the S and X are grouped together.

To me, it implies it is part of the same platform.

No clue what segment the robotaxi might be in.
Elon's discussion on Wednesday, and some prior comments, make clear there will be dedicated robotaxi products. This comports with word on the street.

"In the long term, Autonomy, we think, is going to just drive volume through the ceiling next level and -- and our sort of future robotaxi products -- dedicated robotaxi products, we think, have like quasi-infinite demand."

And, in that same discussion, Muske's comments result in a strong inference those robotaxi platform plans are well developed and probably next on deck. This comports with word on the street.

"So, we're -- the way we're going to manufacture the robotaxi is also itself a revolution. So, it's a revolutionary design made in a revolutionary way. It'll be, by far, the highest units per hour of any vehicle production ever."​

The "Cybervan" is a sasquach so far, not mentioned on Wednesday's call, and certainly not discussed in the paragraphs of detail provided the robotaxi.

The ghost product under the sheet, to me, comports perfectly with a robotaxi product insofar as being mini-van like in packaging. As a dedicated robotaxi product, a sedan package doesn't really make sense.

Also notice, the ghost product under sheet bears a striking package resemblance to the boring company people mover concepts that have been included in boring company materials (not to suggest the ghost will be this big, but the packaging concept generalizes):

Cybercab Robotaxi Why is no one talking about this "Next Gen Platform?" 1689967159703
Cybercab Robotaxi Why is no one talking about this "Next Gen Platform?" 1689967303761

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I am a bit surprised at all of the conjecture about the nextgen platform when Elon spent much of Investor a day telling the world exactly what the nextgen platform is. Just go run the video and be enlightened!

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
A van or people mover for sure, and likely a core Robotaxi sedan.

But with design studios in China,Austin and Germany, Tesla seems likely to produce many variations for local markets. Just having those 2 products under wrap may not be indicative of whats to come.