• đź‘‹ Welcome! If you were registered on Cybertruckownersclub.com as of October 14, 2024 or earlier, you can simply login here with the same username and password as on Cybertruckownersclub.

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

FSD price increases to $15k September 5th

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
Was there a time when FSD was $6k for CT? I thought it debuted at $7k.

Ok, once true FSD is a thing, I'm picturing falling asleep in the car after leaving a Mexican restaurant and waking up at 3am in my driveway. Wonder if there'll be a destination wake up setting. :)

When I'm in the car I suspect I'll drive manually a lot, but the part of true FSD I really think will be useful is sending my car on it's own. Dad needs to borrow my pickup truck, sister needs to be picked up from the airport, neighbor's car won't start at the Walmart 30 minutes away and asked if I could come and get him. The business of making signs and bumper stickers that say "Mom's Taxi" will go bankrupt. (I'm sure that's a multi hundred dollar industry) :)
When it can truly do that and is allowed to do that by government, that would be pretty awesome. Like I said for me, it's mostly as a DD.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Was there a time when FSD was $6k for CT? I thought it debuted at $7k.
Maybe? Too lazy to check.

Ok, once true FSD is a thing, I'm picturing falling asleep in the car after leaving a Mexican restaurant and waking up at 3am in my driveway. Wonder if there'll be a destination wake up setting. :)
It would suck so wake up at a charging stop after sleeping there for 5 hours, 500 miles from your destination.

When I'm in the car I suspect I'll drive manually a lot, but the part of true FSD I really think will be useful is sending my car on it's own. Dad needs to borrow my pickup truck, sister needs to be picked up from the airport, neighbor's car won't start at the Walmart 30 minutes away and asked if I could come and get him. The business of making signs and bumper stickers that say "Mom's Taxi" will go bankrupt. (I'm sure that's a multi hundred dollar industry) :)
Likewise. Though I would definitely use it for road trips it’s a lot more relaxing when you can enjoy the trip, like riding in a train. Just need a bathroom in the vault. Would that make it a vault toilet?

LoneWolfO6

Banned
Banned
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3: Sold it before a year of ownership!!
Occupation
Retired Military
Country flag
Do not know why it’s still going up, agreed it does not do the main intention in its name “Full Self Driving”? Bet a 16 year old would pay $15,000 to use FSD to pass all their driving test minimal tasks with first time go’s?! That’s all it’s good for. Lol.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Do not know why it’s still going up, agreed it does not do the main intention in its name “Full Self Driving”? Bet a 16 year old would pay $15,000 to use FSD to pass all their driving test minimal tasks with first time go’s?! That’s all it’s good for. Lol.
I don't think it would pass.

Also, the name is 'Full Self-Driving Capability' and described as the hardware sufficient to run the software, when such software is available.

-Crissa

LoneWolfO6

Banned
Banned
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3: Sold it before a year of ownership!!
Occupation
Retired Military
Country flag
I don't think it would pass.

Also, the name is 'Full Self-Driving Capability' and described as the hardware sufficient to run the software, when such software is available.

-Crissa
Lol, can always count on C-correction. Thanks. Take care

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Damn, I guess this means I locked in the $7k … that’s …. Neat.
I think Enhanced Autopilot is worth near $3-7k. Other car companies charge a lot more for a lot less anyhow.

In the ??? Year(s) before you get the truck the situation may bring more to the table.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
EAP has all the fully functioning parts of FSD including parking assist.

I think that’s a reasonable compromise at this point since everything you buy is actually there.
yep....you get all the visuals.......for me, its still at level 2.....promised release on 20 Aug, then release has been put at 2 week intervals based on input......if input in really useful, I find it hard that they can write code, test and release it so fast after all the delays on this release......

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
What is FSD worth ? Here tis :

I recall taxi license in Melbourne AU priced as AU$250,000 . I just googled and in Queensland they were once going for $500,000.

Dropped dramatically due to Uber, and these days(limited google) licenses are handed over to family members. No sales.

What are we left with ? No Goodwill.
If you have a license, you are basically buying a job. Not wealth.

What is FSD worth ?

If you are buying a humble business, goodwill is for example 2.5 times yearly profit.
You receive your wage, plus whatever the profit is times 2.5.

The more profit, the higher the goodwill ratio.

Pause >>>>>>>:

Let's equate the car's repayments as the Robotaxi wage. Say :$ 15,000

Whatever the robotaxi earns from there is multiplied by 2.5 which is the price you pay for the business. FSD/Robotaxi being the business.

If Robotaxi earns $45,000 per year.. Deduct $15,000 repayments (wage)
Then multiply the remaining $30,000 Ă— 2.5 = FSD $75,000.

This is an indicator… Not exact.

We are costing FSD as if it's a golf membership. It's a business.

For private use, as long as you can afford it. Otherwise, stick to chicken instead of Salmon.

Last edited:

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
What is FSD worth ? Here tis :

I recall taxi license in Melbourne AU priced as AU$250,000 . I just googled and in Queensland they were once going for $500,000.

Dropped dramatically due to Uber, and these days(limited google) licenses are handed over to family members. No sales.

What are we left with ? No Goodwill.
If you have a license, you are basically buying a job. Not wealth.

What is FSD worth ?

If you are buying a humble business, goodwill is for example 2.5 times yearly profit.
You receive your wage, plus whatever the profit is times 2.5.

The more profit, the higher the goodwill ratio.

Pause >>>>>>>:

Let's equate the car's repayments as the Robotaxi wage. Say :$ 15,000

Whatever the robotaxi earns from there is multiplied by 2.5 which is the price you pay for the business. FSD/Robotaxi being the business.

If Robotaxi earns $45,000 per year.. Deduct $15,000 repayments (wage)
Then multiply the remaining $30,000 Ă— 2.5 = FSD $75,000.

This is an indicator… Not exact.

We are costing FSD as if it's a golf membership. It's a business.

For private use, as long as you can afford it. Otherwise, stick to chicken instead of Salmon.
Good perspective. I think the differentiator is the app/AI that will allow you to make real money. Your car with FSD is pretty helpless to get customers. Nothing in the FSD contract says there will be a Robotaxi function. (I have never looked at it, so correct me if I am wrong)

Sure you could devise some flag system to get people to get in and start a fair or run Uber app on top of FSD, but the Tesla App will make everything streamlined.

The Tesla Management App will know, where your are parked or located, how or if you are plugged in, your state of charge, if you are willing to take fairs or if you want to be off network. How low you are willing to go to take a fare. When you need your rig back. Are you willing to sell back power at XX price. How are your customers rated. Did they leave garbage in the car a couple times and only have 3 stars? Maybe you only take 4 and 5 star customers. Is your customer willing to take small detours to a share the ride or not? Are they willing to walk the last few blocks for a reduced price if necessary so you can pick someone up a little faster?

With Tesla insurance you could insure 3rd parties with each ride but then have a lower rate for personal use.

Every fare, every delivery, every kWhr of grid leveling will be a micro contract and Tesla will get a small fee. I predict a minimum monthly fee to use the app, but most of the cost/profit will be on each microcontact.

Personally I don't know if I want a side hustle as a Robotaxi owner. IFF I get FSD I would probably run it just enough to cover the outlay. I suspect many people would do the same. Game days/concerts/conventions might not see that much of a premium.

Tesla will make money no mater what tho.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Maybe hastle for those who want to add it to the Robotaxi network for a few hours.
They need to ensure it is clean.. and upon its return check for any damage. And report if necessary.
Very similar to an Uber driver. The star system will keep you in it or not.

I want to keep it in the network for the longer term.. months.

I don't expect any hassle. In fact zero.

In order to have a successful relationship with longterm robotaxi owners and in order to have an organized, streamlined business, Tesla will take over full management of the Robotaxi network. They will run their own cars and ours.

Elon has already mentioned he envisages a sort of sheep herder to oversee perhaps 40 cars..

If the car is added to the network, it will be managed and insured by Tesla. Tesla will ensure it is driven on acceptable roads.

Tesla's employee will ensure it is clean and not damaged.

We are a last breed. Longer term, Tesla will be the only owner of a Robotaxi.

It won't take long to replace all Uber and taxi drivers around the world. Tesla could do it in a year.

The issue is creating a new transport industry, replacing buses and trains and car ownership. Tens of millions of Robotaxis Vrs tens of thousands Uber/taxi drivers.

We will have a totally different landscape. Not replacing like for like.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Maybe hastle for those who want to add it to the Robotaxi network for a few hours.
They need to ensure it is clean.. and upon its return check for any damage. And report if necessary.
Very similar to an Uber driver. The star system will keep you in it or not.

I want to keep it in the network for the longer term.. months.

I don't expect any hassle. In fact zero.

In order to have a successful relationship with longterm robotaxi owners and in order to have an organized, streamlined business, Tesla will take over full management of the Robotaxi network. They will run their own cars and ours.

Elon has already mentioned he envisages a sort of sheep herder to oversee perhaps 40 cars..

If the car is added to the network, it will be managed and insured by Tesla. Tesla will ensure it is driven on acceptable roads.

Tesla's employee will ensure it is clean and not damaged.

We are a last breed. Longer term, Tesla will be the only owner of a Robotaxi.

It won't take long to replace all Uber and taxi drivers around the world. Tesla could do it in a year.

The issue is creating a new transport industry, replacing buses and trains and car ownership. Tens of millions of Robotaxis Vrs tens of thousands Uber/taxi drivers.

We will have a totally different landscape. Not replacing like for like.
Cybertrucks should command a premium on the Robotaxi network. Tricky bit is navigating the lumber yards and weird places where people might want to take them.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
So glad I have no intention of ever getting this crap. Keeps going up.. keeps remaining in Beta!
It can go as high as Elon wants. I am locked in at the price at unveiling and can always change my mind if and when I develop a negative attitude about senior mobility. Beta or no beta I think that the FSD features are coming along well. My wife is not at all happy about it.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
It can go as high as Elon wants. I am locked in at the price at unveiling and can always change my mind if and when I develop a negative attitude about senior mobility. Beta or no beta I think that the FSD features are coming along well. My wife is not at all happy about it.
Tesla doesn't say how many FSD subscriptions are actually purchased. Maybe it is a bait a switch to get people to actually purchase enhanced Autopilot. $6k looks like a value next to $15k.