• đź‘‹ Welcome! If you were registered on Cybertruckownersclub.com as of October 14, 2024 or earlier, you can simply login here with the same username and password as on Cybertruckownersclub.

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

TFL reviews the Jeep Magneto

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
The more I see of the Magneto the more disappointing it is, when the hood was raised I thought "Really?"

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Some of the most fun I have had has been in Wrangler but at this point in my life I think of it like a yacht. Something that I should convince my friend to buy. I don’t have room or time for one trick ponies in my life. Give me my CT so I can stop looking at other cars.

egandalf

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
It's a proof-of-concept that I think would make an awesome EV later on. I'd love to see an all-electric wrangler in the wild.

Weird that they kept the transmission and such all intact, though. I don't see why every bit of that can't be controlled with software thereby eliminating a lot of parts/cost.

Not to mention that swapping the engine with batteries like they did does nothing to help with rollover, to which jeeps are highly prone.

Move the batteries to the bottom, make them structural, control the torque and motors with software instead of a bulky, useless transmission, and you've got yourself a nice vehicle.

Would I buy it? Hell no. I need to haul stuff. But for Jeepers it would be a great option.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Weird that they kept the transmission and such all intact, though. I don't see why every bit of that can't be controlled with software thereby eliminating a lot of parts/cost.
Software can't change the top end or bottom end of a motor's torque curve. Only a physical mechanism can.

-Crissa

Luke42

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, GMC Sierra Hybrid 3HB (2-Mode)
Country flag
Software can't change the top end or bottom end of a motor's torque curve. Only a physical mechanism can.

-Crissa
That's why so many electric motors have a 7.5:1 reduction gear.

That ratio just happens to shift an AC VFD electric motor into an rpm/torque range that is useful for a lot of applications (including EV propulsion).

Took me a surprisingly long time to get deep enough into the datasheets to see it, though. But that's a me-problem.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
My Zero has no gears. The top speed is basically set, as is the torque available down low. The motor has a bug curve, that fits all my driving conditions, but...

...A Jeep is heavier and will want more sweet-spot(s). My motor configuration would have a much lower top speed and acceleration pushing a brick. Hence the gears.

Even Tesla has a couple. But different motors working in coordination can do the same thing as the Jeep's transmission. To a point. At slow speed and the highest speed, the transmission will be superior; at most everyday speeds or fast acceleration, the multi-motors would be superior. At least with current tech.

-Crissa